Ok I need help with my baby chick ASAP....Please anyone give me advice

Lydia2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
My baby chick hatched Sunday morning, It looked like it had unabsorbed yolk and some of the shell was still attached. The poor little thing had no energy and was rolling around on its back. I was told to leave it in the incubator until the part on its bottom dried up and fell off. On Monday the chick was much more energetic and was moving around the incubator a lot, however it wasn't able to get to its feet, its feet are curled and the chick doesn't seem to straighten them. The poor thing was still dragging the shell around Monday night so I decided to snip off the part connecting the chick to the shell which was all dried up. And there was no presence of blood thank god. So after I did that I placed the chick into my brooder along with my other chicks as it seemed to be sitting under the fan in my incubator which made me think it was too warm for it in there, however the other chicks started pecking at its bottom, so I quickly divided my brooder so the weak chick wouldn't be bothered by the others. He was doing fine until I went out to check on it this morning and now he looks even weaker and barely no movement. I even got it to drink some water when I first placed it in the brooder on Monday. Below are pictures of when it first hatched and a picture I took this morning. Please give me any advice you can I really want to keep this little chick alive if I can...

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately 20 minutes after I posted thread the chick died
sad.png
I have another 20 eggs still to hatch so I hope this doesn't happen to me again its awful.

I would give it some chick electrolytes ASAP, do you have any sav-a-chick? sold at feed stores. you can combine it with the sav-a-chick probiotics, too. Just dip it's beak and then give it pause to swallow. give it a few drinks this way every couple hours and make sure to keep it warm away from drafts. sometimes chicks hatch weak and are not destined to make it.. good luck <3

I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.png
I know its so hard, I lost a few chicks that I took in when they were just too weak. The advice I will give you though from my experience is, to have some Gatorade/pedialite (for human babies) if you can't find the one for chicks, available in your home when you are expecting, along with baby food (human baby food in the glass). I find that when they are so new to the world and so weak, a little dripping of baby food gives them the energy they need to stay alive and grow that little bit stronger until they can actually manage to eat mash on their own. Don't forget to keep them warm at all times, do not let the temperature fluctuate too much by taking them in and out of the warmth, they cannot handle this change in temperature and it can kill them. What I also do is mash up some cooked egg and add a little honey to it, honey gives them energy ;-). The main thing in the first 3 days is to keep them hydrated, because they have ingested the egg yolk from inside the egg, which keeps them going food-wise for the first 3 days. Just a few drops of the liquid, even add some honey to it, and they should be ok. Lots of love and your voice will also help give them comfort and hope ;-) I hope this helps.

oh and keep a dropper handy (any one from the pharmacy - ear droppers or whatever) or a syringe, so you can put drops of liquid onto the tip of the beak, you will see him sip and swallow it this way ;-) xxxx

Back
Top Bottom