Ok I need some advice from all the experts Please UPDATE #8

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 23, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok so I set eggs in my son's classroom 15 days ago or so , we started with about 27 ish eggs and are now down to 21 , considering 17 of those were shipped eggs I dont think thats to bad. All of them were clear except 1 with a blood ring [​IMG]
    Anyway I scedualed when they would be set and when they would hatch but I forgot to factor in one important thing. Day 18 , they will be on day 18 sunday if you count day one the next morning or saterday if you count the day you set them. ( they were set around noon on wensday the 8th ) ether way They will be locked in the school class room , no one can get in so the delimma is what should I do
    1 Takeing them out of the turner and upping the humidity on day 16 instead.
    2 Takeing them out of the turner but not upping the humidty on day 16
    3 Takeing them out of the turner on day 19 and upping the humidity

Please all you experts out there let me know . We are hatching in a LG with fan and turner .
    Thanks so much [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I would go with day 19, since a few of mine have accidently hatched in the turner in the past year and been okay... too much humidity the past few days might drown them. How have your temps and humidity been running all along?

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Go with the 3rd one.

Take them out and up the humidity on day 19

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Temps have been pretty good, we had two spikes to 101.1 and 101.3 on really warm days and one day it ran almost all day at 98.7 but besides that its been 99.3-99.8 the whole time, I have a memory thing on my guage.
    Humidity has been hard to keep up at 40% it drops down as far as the teens and the water evaporates and the sponge dries out very quickly , when we fill the bottom resvoirs and wet the sponge (half a kitchen sponge) it goes up to about 50% but by the end of the day its down to the 35ish range and then the next day starts dropping , I have no idea why , I have the teatcher trained to wet the sponge every morning and I go in every other day.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I most time don't take mine out of the turner until day 19 so I'd just wait until then.

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok thank you all so much , I am very nervous about this hatch I have 15 very excited 3 and 4 year olds looking forward to chicks and its bad enough for me when a hath goes bad I dont want to do that to them. I candled them on day 13 and all the ones that were growing still look like there growning and doing well , [​IMG]

7. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    What do you do to maintain the humidity over the weekend? My LG in my classroom is doing the same thing. I want to try to keep the humidity at 30-40 on days 1-18, and then 65 on 18-21. We haven't set the eggs yet.

My kiddos are the same age as your son's class, and I too want a good hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG] I've hardly been teaching this past week, I've been so busy trying to get everything right and ready for our eggs! [​IMG]

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok when I went in today the humidity was 7% [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I candled 5 eggs real quick when I was takeing them out of the turner and puting in the sponges and filling the water things and all that (day 19 ) out of the 5 2 were dead no viens and one had viens but the baby didnt look like it took up all the space 2 had good viens and movement and took up all the space except about 1/4th of an inch under the air cell where I could see a bit.

Im so sad , at this point Im just hopeing that at least 4 or 5 babies hatch for the kids.
    I dont know what is up with the humidity in this school at my house if the humidity drops its slowly and gets down to 20-30% over 3 or 4 days or so in 48 hours this when from 50% to 7%
    I put 3 hot wet sponges and a bowl of warm water in the bator as well as filling up all the troughs in the bottom to the top. Ill go in tammrow at 11:30 again and hope that the humidity didnt drop past 65% .. with all that in there it was only up to 76% when I left today and yes the gauge is accurite its only about 5% off .

Please my son's class room can use all the prayers and hatching vibes and good mojo you can all dish out for it . [​IMG]

9. kupi99

kupi99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Yea, my bator at work can do the same thing. We've haven't set the eggs yet (my mom who was bringing them today forgot so we'll set them tomorrow), and I'm nervous about it.

I know what you mean about wanting a good hatch for the kiddos. Sending some good hatch vibes your way! [​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    So hows the eggs look today?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by