Ok, I need to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethechickens

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Antioch California
There are so many threads for people with emergencies that should be handled by a vet. Though I am confident with good advice for non emergencies on this thread, this is not a place for people to go to when they find their hen with a ripped off wing, a broken leg, a runny nose, and struggling to breath. It is absolutely not fair to treat an animal as a thing. If you had these problems, you wouldnt go online to see if you could splint your leg, superglue your arm back on, and take some tetracycline to fix ALL your illnesses. There are avian veterinarians for a reason. I have had numerous people write to me after Im the only one brave enough to say take your bird to a vet, or dont have a bird, and thank me for saying something. It is rediculous.

Please people be responsible with your animals. They arent things. They feel pain, fear and sickness, and they suffer. Getting on this forum and asking what you should do is only going to get you loads of things that might work. By the time youre done doing all of them your chickens are dead. You not only selfishly affect "your"chickens, but you affect us all! VETERINARIAN!!!!!!!!!Money! Biosecurity!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

**Edited to remove personal attack**

Last edited by a moderator:
You may not, but I sure appreciate the ideas people have to help a chick. I don't have the time to drive 2 hours to the nearest vet that takes care of chicks. Some people live in rural towns where it's difficult to take a chick somewhere and they ask neighbors for advice. Why not have this here?

I'm a newbie at this so I haven't had much problems with my chicks, but I sure like reading about these things just in case something comes up.

I did have a baby chick that was limping and not doing well at all (bought it to save it) and I got advice here and it helped. She's alive and doing good, just smaller than others.

But it is your right to vent away;)

Last edited:
BYC has saved my chickens more than once. Can't take it to the Vet. Have to do the very best I can on my own. I appreciate the wisdom found here.

However, the biosecurity thing, that's a BIG DEAL! Thanks for saying something to make people think about that.

Quote:
Take a more thorough look at my post. I am glad the forum is here and that there is good advice here.Like a mentioned before in my post right up there on top is........... what gets me is the people with dire emergencies. If you have two hours to sit and write about your problems, and do it for days( while your chicken suffers) then you certainly have time to drive the two hours for the vet. There is no excuse for poor husbandry. If you cant do the vet, at least put the bird out of its misery. I have gotten plenty of good advice from the threads on this forum. I wasnt ungreatful for the good advice.

*edited to remove personal attack*

Quote:
Hey there. Thanks.
Just in case you think you cant take it to the vet because there isnt one, here ya go
Avian vet in Longmont CO

David M. McCluggage, D.V.M.
Chaparral Animal Health Center
9390 Rogers Road Longmont, CO 80503
(303) 702-1986

Quote:
I can't say I've been there, so I wouldn't know - I got chicks 4 weeks ago. Yes, I would see if I can get help during the day of the emergency before spending $100 in gas to the nearest vet. If I can't get help here then I will try some of my other friends locally that have chickens and see what they do. I wouldn't wait 2 days though, I will get help that day (know too many people around here with chickens)

But I don't necessarily think that we have to take our bird to the vet with a dire emergency without checking other sources first.

Just giving my view on it
smile.png

*edited to remove quoted personal attack and the reply to it*

daggum cat fight in here!

Although I agree that cross-contamination of bulk feed in a dispenser at the farm store could be a GIANT problem.

Naw, no cat fight, chicken fight
tongue.png

Actually I just saw the post he was venting about, totally different than the way I took it ~ I think ~

Last edited:
everyone should use bio-security but alot of people do not know what that is. if there is not a sticky on it yet there should be.
wink.png

we shouldn't condem people for wanting help for their beloved pets we should understand and guid them and give help based on experiences and training and knowledge. if the owner is not willing to listen or u talk till ur blue in the face and they still don't get it all we can do is tell them advice, get them to the vet, get a nycropsy ect. they have to be responsible enough to do the rest cuz we have done all that we can and they r the only ones there to do something about it. it doesn't make it any easier and yes the animal pays for it alot of times but if they r uneducated then we should guid them in the right way and worry about saveing the ones still alive or potenial new ones comeing in cuz they still need help to save more. i would never turn my back on someone asking for help to save their animals if they didn't care they wouldn't be asking for help.

there is people who do not believe in doc who won't use a vet and that is their right. some only believe in home remodies and the natural ways and that is their right too. most vets i've met know nothing about poultry and unless they are avian trained will not even look at them. some places like i live in a avian vet is not an option here there is not one available. most places here r production chicken owned backyard farms they know nothing about bio-security ect. unless i go to their farm to do blood testing and they see me and dh in bio suits/scrubs ect. we have to teach them that and why we do it. u gotta understand people here at byc r newbies to pros we deal with alot of different things here and u don't always know the circumstances behind posts or the person. at some point everyone needs help at least once or more and i as well as many others am thankful everyday for this part of the forum to be here.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom