OK I think im crrazy?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlady81, Oct 19, 2009.

1. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    I just got the conformation that the Splash Marans im getting are shipped today, plus putting some of my eggs in the bator. I think Im a little crazy for trying to hatch in the winter! [​IMG] Who else hatches in the colder weather? [​IMG]

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm going to hatch some out on Thanksgiving! I thought I was crazy to hatch so late in the year.....but MD is a lot warmer than NH. [​IMG] Make sure to post pics of those babies!

3. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Ha! I'm in NY, and just as crazy as you are. Have 4 & 6 week old babies in the brooder, a broody with 2 week olds, a set in the incubator due wed/thu, and hopefully another set coming for the bator in a few days [​IMG] Actually I don't consider myself crazy, but I sure am driving my family insane [​IMG] .

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

CONFIRMED .... we're all crazy!
    The way I look at it is ..... well, uummm, the way I rationalize it is ...
    Come spring time all these babies we are keeping warm this winter will be laying eggs for us! YAY ! ! [​IMG]

If you think about long enough you can always come up with some GOOD reason!

5. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I incubated all winter long last year...................LOL...............NOT this year. I am still tired from last year! Between my garage...2 small coops and 4 huge tupperware containers in my baement I thought my husband was gonna divorce me before all the dust settled. [​IMG] I was a peep slave..............

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I just hatched 8 yesterday and I am re-setting the bator tonight [​IMG] I want to get good at this before spring. I was planning on giving these babies away but they are just toooooo cute and my 3 week old silkies are taking good care of them, hubby is going to kill me [​IMG]

7. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    All the babies I'm hatching right now are leaving as soon as they hatch. If my friend doesn't come and get them, or hems and haws about them, I'm putting them on craigslist... Of course I'll offer them up here too. First who shows up gets them.

I have one egg under a broody who just couldn't be broken, when she hatches that, I'm sure my cochins will just adopt it and I won't have to worry about it.

My husband has severe allergies to my chickens so I can't brood any indoors. Maybe next year when all the other priorities have been taken care of I'll have a nice outdoor brooder built. However, I'm forbidden to brood inside, even the garage. It makes him severely ill. In the summer I can throw them in a big bird cage outide in the goat pen and they are fine with the heat lamp, even in the spring....on warm days even without it. I just have to provide shade and plenty of water.

Laney
    P.S. In the goat pen to keep OUR dogs away from them.

8. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Out of my mind as well. I'm waiting for my silkie eggs to be shipped. I have 6 6wk olds in the house in the brooder that my husband just told me a few hours ago that he will miss them when they move outside because thier chirpping is just so sweet.

9. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I think it makes perfect sense to raise chicks in winter. I got chicks from a hatchery last November and they were laying come spring! This year I am trying for my own hatch. That is a lot scarier, though!

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It has nothing to do with sense in my house. I keep saying I am going to stop and just keep putting those eggs in, sigh. But, yes, by spring, I should have some nice FLOCKS of chickens, lol. (and maybe geese and ducks...oh and quail, of course).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by