Ok, I think my cat saw a Ghost!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PitterPaws, Dec 14, 2011.

1. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It all started this evening, we meaning two adults were sitting up stairs watching tv, my youngest cat Charlie 2 years old, always goes downstairs to

look out the window, or play with her toys, she bounces them down the stairs and will bring them up and start again!

So anyhow, were sitting there and she goes down, and all of a sudden we here a noise and she Shoots up the stairs like the devil

himself is after her, and she ran behind the couch, then thru the kitchen and now an hour later she is still in hiding, where I have

no Idea, we have no dogs, the other two cats were upstairs sleeping, and no kids in the house. Just two adults.

Any idea what it could have been that spooked her so bad? I'm completely perplexed. [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Yeesh! I lived in an apartment once and my cats used to stare down the hallway with their tails completely fluffed up and in the ready to run stance. it stopped as soon as i moved outta there...

weird!!!

3. PitterPaws

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Funny thing is she has been here in this house since she was a kitten, and never had a problem until

tonight.

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I've had a couple that saw things... one of them would be walking across the room and all of a sudden leap straight up and land facing the other way, all fluffed out and hissy... same thing he'd do if you touched him and he wasn't expecting it.
    I figured he didn't appreciate the ghost petting him... [​IMG]

but yeah, it was house-specific. that house did have some pretty odd things go on from time to time.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Our Border Collie sees ghosts. And DD's Cavalier does too...

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Bubba-Chunk FREAKED me out the other night... he has a ritual. He sleeps over night on "his" towel on a bathroom shelf. Stays there till about 9am. Then he comes down for food and play and attention. Goes back upstairs to his shelf and doesn't really come back until we flip the TV on for his evening shows. [​IMG]

I went upstairs to the bathroom, and on my way down the steps (exposed, on the back wall of the living room) I decided to pause and play with the dogs. They freak the heck out if you stop walking down the steps. So they bark once, I take a another step, they start dancing, I slowly take another step. By the time I get to the bottom they're so happy to see. Then it's off to the yard with them for evening potty.

Went back to the couch. Bubba, mean while, is intently staring at the steps. Right up into the corner where the rail meets the living room ceiling and cuts around the corner landing. He hops off the couch, takes 5 fast steps, pauses, cranes his neck, spooks, flies back to the couch behind me. Sticks his head up over the back of the couch, keeps staring.

I would have thought he was trying to play some sort of game after the dogs had played, if it wasn't for the look on his face. He looked SO worried! So I grabbed him up and cuddled him down into the steps. He'd have none of that, he needed to watch the steps.

The longer he did it, looking behind me at the steps, changing his view... looking so worried, the more I felt like I was being watched. Creeping me out! I took him to his room to offer a late night snack to distract his chain of thoughts. He comes back in his usual manner, but as soon as he gets to the corner of the couch, he pauses, looks back up the steps, turns, and bolts back to his room.

What the heck kitty? I'm telling myself that it was the game I played with the dogs that freaked him out. But he still does it sometimes in the evening... he'll be zonked out then his head will pop up quickly, for a stare up the steps.

What gets me is when you stay up late alone, you'll hear footsteps in the short hall upstairs. Just 3. I've heard it, husband has heard it, uncle has heard it when he stays over and sleeps on the couch. I hadn't told him about it, but he asked how many times we had gotten up to go to the bathroom. Um... none?

So then I think... maybe the game with the dogs rattled the ghost and it woke up earlier than normal. [​IMG]

He's changed his ritual since then too doesn't spend much time upstairs any more.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Ha!
    we had a stair ghost in one house... we'd hear footsteps up and down, up and down, in the middle of the night. carpeted stairs, but the footsteps always sounded as if they were on wood. we thought... "weird" but it didn't really sink in until my BIL spent the night and in the morning said "do you guys spend ALL NIGHT walking down to the basement and back?"

the dog we had at the time didn't seem to notice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  8. PitterPaws

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by