ok if chick 1wk old ate ant?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
I just saw a 1 week old chick eat an ant! Is that ok or could something bad happen to my chicky!? Does ant die once eaten or still alive wriggling down into chicks crop?
Ive never seen any chicken eat an ant before!

Pic of chick... The yellow one in front...
IMG20201124125606.jpg

And another pic of chick... The one on block...
IMG20201124125956.jpg

I had an issue with ants going into the coop at night (never in the daytime). The ants were hauling out feed that the chickens had strewn about wastefully. I hung a strand of white, non-blinking Christmas lights in the coop and turn those on at night; my flock is spending more time napping in the day now, but they've masterfully reduced the ant population (hahaha).

I think it should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Chickens eat all sorts of crazy things, I had a girl eat a large chunck of plastic, I was panicking for a few days until one day I found it in her poop. I was terrified it would block something up, but luckily I got lucky. I wouldn't think a tiny anyt would hurt them 😊

I just saw a 1 week old chick eat an ant! Is that ok or could something bad happen to my chicky!? Does ant die once eaten or still alive wriggling down into chicks crop?
Ive never seen any chicken eat an ant before!

Pic of chick... The yellow one in front...
View attachment 2423039

And another pic of chick... The one on block...
View attachment 2423047
oh yea totally fine I had a chick that old eat a spider the size of a nickel

Back
Top Bottom