1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok Im a whimp Help Plz

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Up2Early, May 12, 2009.

1. Up2Early

Up2Early Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Lenoir N.C.
    Getting the coop ready to put my 6 and a half week chicks in. This is my first time and I find myself worrying about my Babies through the night. I have no way of enclosing them in my coop. They are in an enclosed run with a coop. My husband will be home from Baghdad in a few weeks and he could make them a door. Also they are not going to have a light on at night until my husband comes home. Am I be an over protective hen?[​IMG] I can see me sleeping outside with a flashlight all night.
    Thanks!

2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Can you plug in an outdoor extension cord to run a light out there? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about light. Some darkness every night is better anyway for their sleep. (We actually run our coop lights on a timer that give the flocks 8 hrs darkness per night.)

If you can't provide light...
    You could start by shutting off the indoor light 3-4 hours per night, then gradually add more 'lights off' time before you move them outside to the coop.

How big is the coop opening into the run? And how secure is the run from predators?
    If the run is only chicken wire, that won't be sufficient keeping predators out. (It'll just keep the chickens in.)

If the opening is small enough, I would try at least covering it with hardware cloth (the heavy, 1/4" wire) to keep predators out. You could fasten one side or a bottom corner where you could open it each morning to let them out in the run, then close again in the evenings.

Can you post a picture of your coop set-up? That would help with providing ideas.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    If you have no way of securing them into their coop, it sounds like your coop is not ready for them yet. I would keep them inside until the coop can be secured. If that's not possible, then maybe a friend could help you? I just worry that if you put them outside while they are still quite young, in an unsecured coop, you are setting yourself up for some heartache. I can tell by your post that you are a good chicken mama.

4. Up2Early

Apr 25, 2009
    Lenoir N.C.
    Thank you for your replies! I put them out and they are so scared. I'm going to bring them in tonight. I just can't stand the thought of my fuzzy butts scared. I have been turning the light off at night. They have feathered in pretty good. I'm working on some pic's to give everyone a better idea. See the problem is my husband said no chickens in the house when he comes home for a 3 week vacation. I really dont know anyone here so count the help out. Just me hanging with the pups and chickens. [​IMG]
    Thank you again and working on some pictures [​IMG]

5. Up2Early

Apr 25, 2009
    Lenoir N.C.
    Here is some pictures of their new home
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This might help and thank you again:)

6. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Looks like a nice home BUT---that chicken wire is likely not enough to keep raccoons, and other stuff out. I believe it is called hardware cloth--but whatever they need stronger wire than what appears. Do not think keeping chickens in, think keeping smart raccoons, foxes, dogs, or whatever you think of out. I learned the hard way with a similar but ugly coop

7. Up2Early

Apr 25, 2009
    Lenoir N.C.
    [​IMG] My husband is just wanting me to say "Build a coop" when he gets home. The man loves new tools. Will be the added protection and more fuzzy butts. [​IMG]

8. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I agree with Kim_NC - if you can run an extension cord out there, you can provide them light during the day. Then turn it off at night.

My biggest concern would be the lack of a door to close them in at night. Are you handy enough with tools to come up with a make shift door that your husband can replace when he gets home? Even if it's only a piece of plywood. If you can build something that you can slide it into at night it would be better than leaving it open. At the very least, it may offer a little protection if you could cut a piece of hardware cloth that you could staple over the opening each night, and remove in the morning. I wish you lived closer - I'd come help you.

9. Up2Early

Apr 25, 2009
    Lenoir N.C.
    Awe that is so sweet of you. I'm having my house painted atm and these guys felt bad for me and are going to help with a door this week. I'm just going to let them out in the day and bring them in at night for a few days/ week. They have protectors during the day [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my pups whom would not hurt a fly.
    I thank you all again as my concerns were valid and I will live and learn from all your advise:hugs

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Nice coop! Just needs a way to close the doorway for protection from night predators as suggested by others. Hardware cloth would do the trick.

Try spending a little time with them while they're outside during the day. A few treats will make them feel right at home too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by