OK, I'm convinced my chickens are stupid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDK1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

The main door of my coop is hardware cloth with a pop door in it. For the last couple of months, I just open the main door for them to come and go. Today I closed the main door and opened the pop door. While observing the coop-cam on my computer, I noticed them all lined up on the ramp not able to figure out how to get in the coop. Mind you, the ramp dead ends right into the pop door. Yup, they aint none too bright!
    [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    One thing I've learned about chickens is that are very much creatures of habit. If you change anything it screws them all up!!

3. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    They weren't trying to figure out how to get into the coop. They were discussing your odd behaviour and how to get you to do what you always do.

4. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Very true... they really get upset when I clean the coop out!

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If as many things in this world were trying to eat you as are trying to eat chickens, you'd probably be just as nervous about new things.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think they are called birdbrains, not because of their intelligence, but because their brain does not process logic the same way ours does. I kinda look at it like a snake charging you when you surprise it. The snake is not really trying to attack you. It safely came into that area using a certain path so when it is surprised, it instinctively tries to leave by the way it safely came in, even if that is where the danger now is. Their brain just does not process information the same way ours does.

From observing mine in different circumstances, I'm convinced they especially don't get the concept of gate or doorway. That concept really must be foreign to them. Then you add the concept of new! What's a chicken to do????

8. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Agreed! It's not that they're stupid, it's that they're creatures of habit. They'll figure it out soon enough.

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:[​IMG]

X2! [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup, they don't call them bird brains for no reason...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by