ok im ready for tomorrow i think

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DragunzGirl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Ok well tomorrow is the big day for me, I did have a few chickens i was going to kill when they got bigger but i decided i did not want to wait that long lol so i traded with a friend and got this big rooster.

She dont kill hers by cuting the throat so i guess this question to her wont be no good lol but i would like to ask, do they make alot of noise when u do the cut throat methed and let blood drain?

I have read so many ways to kill :\\...

also this is new to me but my friend said if you stick a knife up the the roof of the chickens mouth and give it a twist it unlocks the feathers for easy plucking so no digging in hot water. HAS any one else ever known this???? She has done it to many Turkey but will be doing it to chicken soon when she gets enough to kill.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have to say I have never heard of that method before, I always use the hot water method. The feathers come right off.

3. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    Same here i always seen and heard the hot water does the job. She really does do this knife thing on turkeys and she said it really works so im just going to give it a try on the rooster tomorrow if it works i will let every one know [​IMG]

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I wish you success with your first attempt! Every time I butcher I learn something to make the next session go even easier. So don't worry if you run into any problems, let them be lessons to teach you what to do differently in the future.

I've come to prefer the cutting-throat method for dispatching my birds. I zip-tie the legs, duct-tape the wings against the body, and hang them from a salvaged porch-swing frame. I hang them over a big garbage can with a black plastic liner in it. You'll want a good sharp knife, their neck skin is surprisingly tough. You can use a box-cutter blade, just BE CAREFUL not to cut your own hand! The birds get calm from hanging upside down, I've also soothed them by stroking their chests and talking softly to them. Put your hand over their eyes, pull the neck straight, and cut right under the jawbone until you get a good stream of blood to pour out. Do it on each side, get 2 streams.

They don't make noise, but they will reflexively squirm & try to flap.

I've tried that method with the knife to the back of the throat & didn't have much success. I dip mine in hot water, 140-150 degrees for about 5-10 seconds. The pores open & the feathers pull out easily.

I wish you success with your first session, please let us know how well things went for you!

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG] Maybe its just me, but that doesn't make sense as to why/how it could work [​IMG] I think i would trust the majority of what you get for response from the people who kill their own. Good Luck [​IMG]

6. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    Quote:wow thank you alot that really does help me out alot and yes i will do the hot water for sure cause i do know that will work. I think the only thing i need to get over is the killing part the rest seems so easy to do [​IMG] thank you alot.

7. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    From what I have read you are actually putting the knife up into the brain and this is what causes the feathers to loosen.

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Good Luck with it!

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Sure, I think that's everyone's least favorite part of the job. Especially the bird's! [​IMG]

It's really a departure from the usual experience in our modern culture, to kill an animal we're neither afraid of or disgusted by or threatened from. But I think we've gotten too far from reality, too detatched from our food sources, with little connection to the very stuff that nourishes us & sustains our lives.

It's okay to feel a little bad about killing the rooster, it would be worse to do it with glee. Just know he's facing a far more gentle end than he would in the jaws of some predator, or in the hands of a commercial processor. Your final favor to the bird is to try to dispatch him quickly & efficiently, and then to enjoy every bite of him!

Let us know how it goes.

10. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    Ya i was not happy doing the killing cause i hate taking his life like that. I just keep thinking if he stayed at my friends he would of been running free around her yard and there are wild dogs living in the woods near her so the rooster might of been killed by them.

Also it went good today he did not fight much or nothing, Next time i might just chop the head off might be more easy for me, never know, i guess i just got to try and see what is easy for me. I saved the neck, gizzards and liver yum yum [​IMG]. The rest of him is put up for now he will be cooked up tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by