Ok, I'm really confused. Please let me know what you think.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mordarlar, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mordarlar

mordarlar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    I have three young BOs. I suspect they are around seven weeks old but they may be a little older.

Here is my predicament. I was told they were all female but i know that it is a difficult thing to determine with absolute certainty. Two of the babies are bigger than the third by a significant amount. One of the bigger birds (Pollito) "acts" like a roo. Stands straight up and stretches out it's neck while the others duck away. It is hard to explain but it sorta of "struts". The other two, one larger (Clementine) and one smaller (Maisy) behave in a very similar way to each other and quite differently than Pollito. None of the birds seems to be displaying any difference in comb color but Pollito and Clementine stayed fuzzy longer than Maisy did.

Here are some pictures, not great shots i'm afraid. Little buggars move fast. I'd appreciate any input regarding possible gender and age. Thanks!!!

Pollito
    [​IMG]

Clementine
    [​IMG]

Maisy
    [​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    The combs look similarly developed. Are the tail feathers similar, and the general amount fo feathering? One may just be the head hen!

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Hard to tell from picture. Looks like pullet.

4. mordarlar

May 17, 2010
    Here is a picture of their heads about a week ago.

[​IMG]

they'reHISchickens and awesomefowl, Thank you very much!!! I am hoping they are pullets. I got them a little less than two weeks ago and at that time their tails seemed to be similar but the two older birds had a fuzzier appearance.

5. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    oh boy those are some real cuties!!

you can't tell by behavior. one of the earliest signs is that on a hen the saddle feathers (the ones on the side in between wing and tail) get more rounded with age. but a rooster's are kind of rounded too. you can also watch for the development of spurs on their legs. the rooster's tail feathers will have a big bend to them.

some hens have great big combs, and I've heard that some hens even make crow noises, so the only way to know for sure is when the eggs start coming! [​IMG]

6. mordarlar

May 17, 2010
    Quote:Thank you YolandaT.

They are pretty scruffy looking at this age. And so darned cute and fun. They are, in so many ways just like little preteens. [​IMG]

Also thank you for the really helpful info. Here's hoping we have all girls this time.

7. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Going by the first set of pics, they all look like girls to me. I agree, you cant really go by behavior at this age, and they do look between 6 and 8 weeks to me, but prolly no older. They are very pretty by the way, BO's are such a pleasing color to have in the yard- Congrats!

8. KristaBeth

KristaBeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Providence, RI
    They look like my BO pullet did at that age. I would guess they are younger than 7 weeks? Mine is 9 weeks and has been fully feathered for a while. Just a guess though.

9. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    Our BO rooster already had a bright pink comb at that age. I'm guessing pullets. [​IMG]: Angelique

10. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    all 3 look like pullets to me..... The combs should have more of a red tint if they were roos. But who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by