OK is the REALLY pasty-butt or could it be something else?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Hi folks. I'm sure you are getting tired of hearing about my one problem chick who at 7 1/2 weeks still requires regular cleaning of the back- end. As I was struggling to clean her off this morning (she's getting pretty big to try to hold gently with one hand while I sponge her back-side with the other end) I was noticing that while she's a dirty mess, there really wasn't any clogging or pasting of the vent itself and that really hasn't been the issue for several weeks. What I noticed is that while all my other pullets have nice upright tail feathers, and then their fluffy pantaloons underneath, Juno has only two sad looking tail feathers that droop down and the feathers under her vent (an area that was bald when she was in the worst of the pasty-butt period) are always soiled and clotted with blackish poo. Since she has so little coverage on the rear, her wing feathers wrap around her butt and become soiled as well.

I've been following all the advice I've received on this forum on how to treat/cure pasty butt, but now I'm wondering if there is some other chicken condition I should be investigating. I can post this on the disease and injury thread if you think it would be more appropriate there.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    The treatment for pasty butt is to feed warm molasses water, which acts as a laxative for chicks and chickens. It is supposed to be administered for 3-5 days only. Are you still giving the chick molasses water? If so, you may have over-treated the symptoms and be causing chronic diarrhea, exacerbating the soiled/irritated bottom issue.

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Thanks for the reply. I've only tried the molasses water rather late in the game, only during the past three nights. Before that I was trying the apple cider vinegar in the water recommendation. I'll remove the molasses water if you think that would be best.

4. rhs7111

Mar 11, 2011
    Hw long have you been putting ACV in the water? Perhaps you should stop the ACV, instead, depending on how long these symptoms have been present. It may not agree with this chick. If the chick isn't constipated (straining) I would give just plain water. Often tepid water is easier on a sensitive stomach, so try to avoid cold water. If the chick is indeed constipated, stop the ACV and just give the molasses water. The ratio is one large drop of molasses in one tablespoon of WARM water, such that the resultant liquid is a medium caramel color. Give 7-12 sips per day for a day old chick (increase that amount accordingly for an older chick) and usually constipation is resolved within 3-5 days. If the chick has diarrhea, stop the molasses water (and any other additive you've been using) and add electrolytes to the plain tepid drinking water.

5. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:I've been having trouble with this chick since day one, and we're are going on 8 weeks of age now. I used apple cider vinegar for a long time before switching to the molasses water a few days ago. Perhaps I should just stop doing anything for a few days (other than checking her rear end to be sure she isn't stopped up) and see whether the treatments I've been trying are now part of the problem instead of part of the solution. I have noticed that she has become the smallest and least ranking member of my little flock. While I haven't seen any of the others picking on her, she does seem to be the last to approach the feeder or waterer. Other than that and the messy rear end, she seems alert and active.

Do you think it would be OK to give her a bath?

6. rhs7111

Mar 11, 2011
    I wouldn't bath her completely, but perhaps use a very soft washcloth dipped in warm water to cleanse her bottom...then dry her well and keep her warm under a heat lamp for a few hours post-cleansing. Also, after you dry her off, apply a few drops of olive oil to her bottom to soothe and protect from more irritation. If she isn't constipated, stop the molasses water treatement and definitely stop adding ACV to her water. If she shows signs of straining at all, continue with the molasses water treatment. You can't necessarily see a blockage externally, but a blocked chick will appear to strain. If it looks to be diarrhea only, don't continue the molasses water. Diarrhea will be tinted (brown) liquidy droppings, but a blocked/constipated chick will often still make clear liquidy droppings, so do check. I would, however, give her one or two drops of Poly-vi-sol (WITHOUT iron) per day, regardless. Simply put a single drop on the side tip of her beak and see if she'll take it in. Do not force any liquids into a bird's mouth, ever---it is very easy to aspirate and kill a bird. You can find Poly-vi-sol at most drugstores, Walmarts, Targets, etc. It is a liquid vitamin formula for human infants and it comes with and without iron. Don't give the iron formulation to birds! I suspect this chick could use the extra nutrition of vitamin drops because of the depleting affect of the GI disruptions she's been experiencing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Thanks rhs7111, I appreciate all the good advice. I'll give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by