ok is this a pea comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Loretta212, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    haha yes ok seems like a dumb question but hey im new at this. this is a roo (i believe ) but i have to hens with the same looking comb would this be a pea comb on EEs and does that mean ill get blue/green eggs?
    [​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Looks like a Pea Comb to me. He is also a rooster so no Blue Eggs from him. [​IMG]

Chris

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Quote:x2

4. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:LOL i know he is a rooster but the hens i have should they lay green/blue eggs?

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

not always. i have hens with pea combs and they lay brown eggs onlyy but theres always a chance.

6. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Maybe, I'm reading the OP wrong but, are your hens EE's? Because comb type has nothing to do with egg color.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:LOL i know he is a rooster but the hens i have should they lay green/blue eggs?

I am finding that comb type on a EE has nothing to do with egg color.
    I have Single Comb "EE's" that lay Blue and Green eggs just the same as I had Pea Comb EE's that lay Blue, Green, Olive, Brown, White and every shade between.

Unless you know what the cross was to create them and the egg color egg they hatched from it is going to be real hard to tell what color egg the hens will lay.

Chris

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois

I am finding that comb type on a EE has nothing to do with egg color.
    I have Single Comb "EE's" that lay Blue and Green eggs just the same as I had Pea Comb EE's that lay Blue, Green, Olive, Brown, White and every shade between.

Unless you know what the cross was to create them and the egg color egg they hatched from it is going to be real hard to tell what color egg the hens will lay.

Chris

Mine too, its just a roll of the dice with egg color in my experience! I have a EExLB mix that has yellow legs and a funky comb, that lays the prettiest Aqua colored eggs then I have an EE with slate legs and Peacomb and she lays the bigest tan eggs.

9. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Do you know what the parentage is? Did you buy them from someone or hatch them? My guess is with the leg color and solid color and pea comb you will most likely get green/blue eggs from them

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    That roo doesn't look like an EE to me at all, so I am going to say no green/blue eggs. Lots of other breeds have pea combs and do not have the blue egg gene, so I am guessing he is a cross of some other breeds?

eta: If your hens that came with him have muffs and/or beards and are more of a fluffy vs long and lean build, then I think you are likely to get blue or green eggs. It's just that this roo has no beard or muffs and he looks to have a bit of (hatchery) Cornish or something Gamey in him with that long long neck and slender build.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by