OK , is this good or bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a few eggs in the incubator, but when i look at them, ( they are under a heat lamp) I see where the majority of the egg is REALLY dark and then their is the clear part on the end.... are these good or bad? I havent candled them yet.

2. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    They sound perfectly good if the chicks are due soon. The developing chick fills the egg and makes the dark part, so if you cant' see through it, there is at least partial development in there. The clear part is the air cell which is also normal. The chick will break the internal membrane, allowing it to get air from the air cell, and then it will start pipping the shell.

Eggs that are not good do not show signs of development (like dark insides) - they are often still fairly clear, or may have small blobs or bubbly contents, but not a developing embryo. j

What day are you on?

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive got another thread going on about the whole thing, but basically my mama duck up and decided to not sit on her 16 eggs anymore and they were due about 2 days ago, but they got cold, so it is delaying.

I have 8 eggs left and two of them are really dark on the inside.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like there fertile! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by