1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK is this really a BSL and is it really a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrandyMom2AFew, May 7, 2011.

1. BrandyMom2AFew

BrandyMom2AFew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Willamette Valley
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Melanie 11

Melanie 11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Athens
    I don't know I have the same ones.[​IMG]

3. BrandyMom2AFew

Apr 5, 2011
    Willamette Valley
    oh sorry; three weeks old today...

4. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    It is quite possible. There is a bit of variation in the BSL's.

How old? Still looks girly to me.

5. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Both of my BSL have reddish brown in their feathers, but I know that the feathering can vary. Here are mine.
    [​IMG]

6. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    The yellow on the bottom of the feet are similar to my BSL but I crossed them the most common way. I used a New Hampshire Rooster over a Barred Rock Hen. My pullets are only a little over a week old and they already have some red tinting in the neck line. However, both colors of sex links have quite a color variety. This is due to the fact that there are several different breed combinations that produce color-sexable chicks.

One of the many combinations for the Black variety use a Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster and A White Plymoth Rock Hen. They are sex link but unlike the more common varieties, this hen has silver in the neck rather than the more common red tinting.

YES IT IS A BSL AND IT IS A PULLET

Try and remeber that Sex-Link does not descride a breed but a typ of sexing done at birth called "color sexing". The hard truth is that all sex-link chickens are not pure breeds but in all reality they are mutts. They each come from combing one breed of rooster to another breed of hen, based on genetics, that produce a noticable color differrance between day old male and females.

Here is a picture of the cross I mentioned:

[​IMG]

And this hatchery sells them :

https://www.esteshatchery.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=54

7. BrandyMom2AFew

Apr 5, 2011
    Willamette Valley
    Awesome. I am glad I don't have to deal with two roo's and only 6 hens, LOL.

Thanks, I was slightly concerned because she was soo much bigger...

8. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    I hatched some BSL of my own from members of my flock. At first the Rooster was larger but now all the other chicks are bigger than him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by