Ok is this the right area

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OkieChix, Nov 1, 2010.

1. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    my black sex link Lacie. went broody and stole some chicken eggs that were laid right by her and put them under herself. wel its about 21 days later and now i have cute baby chicks. the problem is i have never seperated her from the flock and i dont think the little one can get to the food and water from where they are ate because they cant jump over the baby gate yet.
    Should i seperate her and the chick our just the chicks from the flock? any ideals? P.S. i saw one peek out and it was a cute little black one. i cant wait to see the others.

2. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    My broody stayed in the main house until the babies hatched. I was too afraid to move her before that. Once the chicks were hatched I moved everyone to a small pen with a dog crate. Everyone stays safe and cozy that way. The babies can run around and eat their baby food (mom too). We have the corrugated plastic sheets over the pen to keep them dry and in and the others out. At night they go in to their crate and I close the door. Then we let them out in the morning. In a few weeks when the babies are older we introduce them to the others. Their pen in is the chicken area so the others see them now. Hope that helps.

3. MaineChick

MaineChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2008
    When my broodies hatch out chicks I just make sure they can get out of and back into the nest box and coop ok by themseleves, make sure there's plenty of food and water right near the box, and leave them alone. Momma makes sure no other chickens mess with them.

However, this is in a situation where, once out the pophole, they have many acres to range over if they choose. I suspect a more contained environment might make it harder for Momma to protect the babies, so separation might be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by