Ok. Just about ready to strangle some chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FF, Sep 18, 2010.

1. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hello. The heading says it all. I have 45 laying hens. They are 26 weeks old and not 1 single egg from any of them. I have had 1 white egg from a White Leghorn hen. I can tell her and I have had a small cochin for years that lays the distinctive small brown egg. But thats it. Feeding them laying pellets. They have plenty of water. Free space to run. A nesting box. What do I need to do? They are extremely happy and healthy chickens. They are some what tame. They have vegetables sometimes and all the bread heels that are left and the bread thats never going to be eatin. I have Production Reds, Black Australorps, Red Sexlinks, and white leghorns. Oh and the Americaunas. They look very under weight and look like a bantam. But the hatchery swears that they didn't hatch bantams and it was a true ameracauna. Ok. I got them form Hoovers. I know this has nothing to do with it but their combs are very small. Kind of pale pink. They are fed every single day. 8-10lbs a day. they always have feed left over. I make sure. Is it time to get rid of them and get some actual descent chcikens or what should I do. Thanks to any and all the replys. Thank you. Dusty

2. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Oh and honestly they look like they are maybe 12-15 weeks old. I have no clue why either. I am spending $30 a week on dang feed and I am getting nothing in return. Its really making me mad. But they are very healthy and happy. I just don't understand. Bad quality chickens? Need more feed than 8-10lbs? Please help

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I dont have any suggestions, but on a smaller scale, I'm in the same position you are. I don't know what it is...I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

4. jelmer

jelmer Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    I had that problem I had leghorns, production reds, aruacanas and silkies that were old enough to lay but just wern't laying. Then I bought some coronation sussex that were laying and after a couple of days of the sussex laying their first eggs all the rest started laying.

5. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Chickens lay eggs. That's what they do. I don't think there are a ton of chickens out there that just won't lay eggs. Hang in there!! They will start laying!! I promise. [​IMG]

Do you have more than one nest for all of them? I'm assuming you do, but the way your post was worded I had the thought you might not. Add more nests if you don't have more than one!! Try adding golf balls to the nests. I'm telling you. Those chickens like to use a nest that other chickens have used. My pullets lay WAY better when there's "competition" in the nest. [​IMG]

ETA: Are you feeding laying pellets or crumble? I know that protein is very important, and that may have something to do with weight. Even if they are eating enough, they may not be getting enough protein in what they are eating.

woops! I see you ARE using laying pellets. Check the protein content!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  6. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    you said A nest box, as in one? for 45 chickens you should have atleast 10-12 (1 box per 4 hens)

7. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Just wondering if you bought them as chicks or did someone sell them to you and give you an age that may be wrong? You said they looked younger than 26 weeks - so just a thought. Another question I have would be if they have a huge run area or free range area- they may be laying their eggs somewhere where you haven't seen them yet- I'd look around in little hiding places.
    On an encouraging note - if you know for sure how old they are and that they aren't hiding any eggs from you -I agree with whetzelmomma- chickens lay eggs- but they all have their own idea of when. [​IMG] I had one EE who didn't lay a single egg until she was 32 weeks old, and then was rather sporadic about it for several weeks before she got regular. Try and be patient- you're getting very close and it will be well worth the wait [​IMG]

8. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    AND on the bright side, the later they START laying, the older they will be when their production dies OFF!

9. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    Quote:GREAT POINT TO MAKE THEM FEEL GOOD....

10. FF

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Hello. I am sorry for not being on here. Our computer got a virus and we got it back up yesterday.

Now the chickens I got as 2 day olds. And I have thought about the run eggs but have checked every square inch and every square inch in the house too. I guess I just need to be patient. One thing I can not do is be patient though. Not a very patient person [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by