Ok, just HOW BAD is the LG bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Badhbh, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I know everyone hates it, that much is clear [​IMG] BUT it's also the only thing I have access to right now, and I have some eggs that I want to hatch. My favorite beautiful EE roo has done the deed with a polish hen, and i'm dying to hatch some of the eggs [​IMG]
    So with the LG, just how had is it really, and what considerations need to be taken?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had a hard time with keeping the temps steady. I didn't toss it, but have only used it as a hatcher in an emergancy. I wasted a lot of good eggs before I quit using it.

3. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Used it once, sold it. Nuff said!:mad:

4. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Booger.
    I really don't have the extra to shell out on a Hova right now.. those R Coms look pretty stinking fancy too.

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Lol mine are great.. i have 2 on right now and one has chicks piping in it

mine keeps temp and humidity steady... although my new one i've been having to keep my eye on it but thats with any new bator.. i have already hatch

Ducks
    Chickens
    Button quails
    Coturnix quails
    and now

Pheasants
    Bobwhite quails

so i'm sticking with my LG's [​IMG]

*edit to add bobwhite*

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  6. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I use mine all the time and have good hatches. It is the only bator that I have. You just need to keep an eye on it since the temps do jump. Do a search on it and there are lots of good tips on it.

7. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I've had 80 percent and 90 percent on my two hatches...both were with shipped eggs. Temps stayed stable, no sick or deformed chicks. I LOVE mine!

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I love mine...[​IMG]

the temps can jump but that all has to deal with the temps in your house taht you ahve the incubator in...some days we have the windows open, others we dont, somedays we have the air on others we dont, it ALL effects the incubator.

Just watch it..I have tons of peepers sitting beside me ni the brooder thanks to my LG [​IMG]

9. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I personally don't have any problems with mine! I've hatched out quite a few in mine...although I have staggered hatches, so I use the LG to incubate until day 18 and then I move them to my Hova Bator to hatch them out. I got mine at Double R for $47.00 with free shipping. The only thing I like better about the Hova Bator is that there are more wells for water in the bottom in order to raise the humidity during the last couple of days.

10. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I've been hatching with 3 this season. Once I got that I needed to be careful with temps we are doing much better. My circulated air LG gets dry so I have to watch the humidity also. I've been able to hatch quail, chickens and turkeys. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by