1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok may sound daft but what do roos eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ruby1512, Aug 8, 2011.

1. ruby1512

ruby1512 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    you feed your hens the layers pellets/mash. do the roos eat the same? is it ok for them? or is there a different food that is ok for both? or is the layers ok for both. lol ok im done with the q's :)

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my birds run together and they all eat laying mash. I have heard that the calcium is a problem for some roos but mine seem fine...for 23 years now....Terri O

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hope you get an answer to this because I've been wondering the same thing! Someone said laying mash was bad for roosters. I'm wondering how you can keep them together. [​IMG]

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:23 years is good enough for me! We must have been posting at the same time. [​IMG]

5. ruby1512

ruby1512 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    same. i was wondering if there is a roo mix that is ok for both *but* still put the layers in, so two different feeds in two separate bowls? and hope the roo chooses the right one and hens the other? they have ad-lib oyster shell so they can pick and choose if they want it or not. JTA they are still on the growers and are 3months old. so middle to end of next month they will *fingers crossed* be going onto layers.

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    A lot of people with mixed flocks (hens, roos & pullets) feed flock raiser, or grower/finisher and have oyster shell on the side for the layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by