1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK-maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but do you vaccinate?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwebb7, Mar 3, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I don't know why I never thought about it. My hen got broody and I gave her 6 eggs to set on and they hatched on "our" birthday!

-puppys over the years-of course! kitties-yes, horses-yes! why didn't I think before these bitties hatched?

What vaccines? any other things that babies need?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You know, I`ve never vaccinated chickens for anything in 51 years of raising them with one exception and that is pox. No need to worry about that unless it happens in your flock and that is unlikely, especially this time of year. The general rule is, "don`t vaccinate before you need to".

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I vaccinate for marek's, but that would be futile if the hen wasn't vaccinated and she hatched and brooded the chicks

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I hatched out over 30 chicks last winter/spring and most of them died between 16-20 weeks of mareks. My original flock I bought from a hatchery and I had them vaccinated. So I ended up vaccinating all of the chicks I hatched this winter/spring. I've also noticed a few people here in Michigan have had the same problem. Maybe it depends on where you live.

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I am wondering the same thing. My aunt ordered our flock and does not remember where from or if they were vaccinated. I have their eggs in the bator now and don't know what to do when they hatch.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by