ok maybe not a emergency but just found a baby chick in the nest box

esnil

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Hi, was never planning on having baby chix but i reach under a broody hen to get egges and found a baby probably hatched in the last 24 hours, whats the best way to handle this ? I can not stay home from work to care for it, i understand i will survive 3 days on the yolk sac ? should i remove it ? will the others hens and roo eat it ? will the hen sitting on it take care of it for a few days until the weekend when i have time to care for it ? any input is appreciated

as always thanks people,

from what ive read on here, so long as shes a good mama, she will begin taking it around the coop, and protect it from everyone else for at least two weeks, you need to watch that she doesnt turn on it, and is able to protect it though, and if it does get neglected set it up in a brooder, if you are worried about not having any food available, some fine crumbles of plain scrambled egg will be able to hold you over until you can get to the feed store. again, this isnt from experience, just what ive read on the site. so hopefully someone can come along and give you more insight.

big_smile.png
Unless there is a major reason why she can't raise the baby just let nature do her thing! I've had several single babies thru the years and momma will do just fine!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom