OK...more issues.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by csummer8882, Jan 25, 2012.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I posted yesterday about a GC that is pecking some hens. She was put in her place by my NHR yesterday. I was just down there tossing out some snacks and there she goes pecking. Plucks out some nice small feathers off a a few girls, near their tail feathers...then...she ate it! Really?! Feather eating? What is going on?! I separated her, put her in the coop instead of out in the run. Is that ok? What do I do?! Thank you!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Feather eating can be a habit, but it's also a sign of "needing more protein" in the diet. Chicken feathers are actually made up of protein.

A good layer feed should provide enough protein for the flock. Eating feathers definitely won't hurt your chicken, so not to worry, but it'll make the rest of the flock have ugly bare bottoms soon enough.

Good thing you've isolated her. I'd say, maybe she'd be a good soup.

Sharon

3. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    OK, Thank you. I did do some reading and have just made up some scrambled eggs. I guess I will let her out, have her eat some and do some more watching. *sigh* I hope it doesnt continue......

4. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    OK I made a dozen scrambled eggs for 6 girls...they demolished them. LOL I refilled their grit container as that was a bit low and let the offender out. I hope things improve. How long do I give extra protein for? When will I notice a difference in the feather picking and eating? Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by