1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK my chicks are getting to big .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Nov 1, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    My chicks are going to need a new area soon. I have a coop but it is cold ,down to 27 last night. Do I put them in there with a light or what. Do I need to build an intermediary place for them. I know at 8 weeks they are fully feathered but they can not stay where I have them that long. What do I do next.? They are only 3 going on 4 weeks now. Jean

2. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    theyll be fine in the coop with a light as long as it isnt drafty
    I keep plenty of straw on the floor and they are fine its been freezing here too on some nights

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Like skeeter said, they will be fine out in the coop as long as it isn't drafty. Just put the heat lamp out there. If you're worried about them wandering to far away from the heat lamp, box off a small section in the coop so they will be confined in that area. Make sure you keep plenty of wood shavings or hay down for them to stay warm in. They will be okay. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    If you put them in the coop I would make them an area so they cant wonder to far from the light !! Also so the others (if you have others) dont pick on them !!

5. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Thanks so much,
    I was really worried , as they are all ready trying to fly in their brooder and hitting the top of the wire. I have a large cardboard box I could set in the coop and I have an extension cord there already. How will that light affect the 6 month old brahma that I have in there? I put a light in there once and they would not go in the coop. Will they learn it won't hurt them? Jean

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    The 6 mo. old brahma will learn! Mine did and sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done. In this case, it sounds like the 7 wk. olds are ready to go out so it needs to be done. They'll be happier and you'll be happier! Just be sure to not put the heat lamp to close so that they get to hot. Remember, these are not day olds needing 90 degree temps! They do have feathers now and don't need much heat added. Good luck with them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never kept chicks inside longer than four weeks(and usually not that long), no matter what the temps outside. They do fine with heat lamps as long as there are no floor drafts.

8. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Speckledhen,
    Hi there, My hb and I have decided to enclose another 4x8 section of the hen coops roofed area . That way we will have a section I can let the new ones in and not really aggravate the others too bad. After they get a bit larger I will open the wall between and put wire on it for awhile to let them get use to each other. Then I plan to remove the wire and incorporate them together, blocking the new section off.
    When I get my new ones this spring( from you )I will have a nice space to start them in after a week or two. I can really clean it up and not have the other chickens in there but have them visible. Does this sound like a good idea to you. Also on both sides of the walls from 4 foot up will be a clear plastic so lots of light can come in. Jean

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like a good plan, Jean.

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    if your still worried about the light bothering your other hens you can get a red heat bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by