1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok My girls are having a problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hypnofrogstevie, Feb 11, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    they have not laid eggs for over 2 months. Oyster shell is what I need for them to lay right? They have laying pellets and I dont give scratch to them. We cant get to the store because my mom and her b/f have to use one car since my moms engine went in hers. the feed store opens at 8am and closes at 5pm. My mom is going to the feed store on her way home that is next to her work. Other then laying pellets what else do I need for them to lay? They are indoors and the temp downstairs is around 70F. They are next to a window where the sun rises in the early morning.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They need about 14 hours of light. Hens usually slow down in the winter due to lack of daylight.

3. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ok. So should I leave the living room light on when my mother goes to work? She leaves around 6AM and leave it on till around 10PM? How does that sound?

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    This time of year they are not getting a full 14 hrs. of natural daylight. That is probably the problem if you are not giving them supplemental ( white ) light. They don't NEED oyster shell to lay, they just need it to produce strong shells. Layer crumble, fresh water are the essentials. Oyster shell will help make strong shells. Corn, or scratch ( which will make them happier birds ) as a treat, and if you want table scraps. Stay away from fruit though. I hear it slows or halts egg production. How old are your birds?

5. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Quote:They are kept inside?

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have barred rocks bantams which are around 2 years old. and red stars which we got in december and they where 26-28 weeks old at the time. My buff orps are still babies and only a month old so I am not worrying about them till later

7. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:They are kept inside?

yep LOL. our coop is not finished yet. We had to tear down the old one do to a bear the tore his way into the nesting box. Our old coop was a rabbit hutch. I cant wait to finish building the new one in spring. We keep getting snow so I cant finish it. Plus I hate working in the cold

8. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I can't say for sure, but keeping them inside could be a problem too? Do they have enough room? Anyway, try the light, not a dim light, but a good light for them, 13-14 hrs./day
    You should hopefully see an egg withing a couple weeks if that's the issue.

Keep us posted.

Steph

9. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks steph. They have ltos of room to walk around. Its a pretty big cage. I will try that method and keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by