ok my turn for lay or crow game...c'mon BO pros!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sangel4you, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    almost 12 week old BO's.... originally thought I had 2 roos and 2 pullets and my runt was a roo but now theyre pretty much all the same size and feathered out the same....here are pics (sorry theyre not the best-uploading pics to byc from my phone has GOT to get easier!) anyway since ive only had RIR and LH before I wanted some more opinions.... thanks!
    chicken 1
    [​IMG]

chicken 2 (1 in background)
    [​IMG]

chicken 1 and 2 again
    [​IMG]

chicken 4
    [​IMG]
    chicken 3 is my "runt" and in the background of last pic.... that one is VERY camera shy!

2. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    ps Im already and suspecting 4 roos (though we've had NO injuries and next to no squabbles in 8 weeks with them) so dont worry about surprising me with bad news lol

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    the first one looks a little hen and the 4th chicken looks like a roo i am not sure about the other ones

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:I agree.

5. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    Can I ask what makes you say that? Im new to this breed so I dont know what the characteristics are.... and you cant see it well in the first pic but if you look at #1 in the background of pic 2, you can see the droopy tail feathers that I thought were characteristic of roos.... thanks for your responses :)

6. little blue

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    well i was going off of what there heads look like and the last pic looks like a pretty big comb and the first pic looks like it has no comb but i have alot of buff roos right now and usually orpingtons have a pretty big comb or have like no comb but i also am kinda new i started last year

7. sangel4you

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    Now that Im reading a bit, I think #2 is def a roo. Hes more brightly colored, has longer and pointier hackles, and a big comb

8. little blue

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    yea the pics are kinda hard to see

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The chicken in the first picture, doesn't have a very prominent comb (from what I can see) so therefore makes me think its a pullet but the the chicken in the last picture has a very large/red comb which is why I said rooster. The others I can't see well enough to determine their gender.

10. little blue

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

The chicken in the first picture, doesn't have a very prominent comb (from what I can see) so therefore makes me think its a pullet but the the chicken in the last picture has a very large/red comb which is why I said rooster. The others I can't see well enough to determine their gender.

X2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by