1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok my wim

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fussaguss, Mar 27, 2011.

1. fussaguss

fussaguss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    no where ohio
    Long past few days had a huge chicken loss due to an evil evil evil now very cold coyote.. I has perusing online and found someone 20 minutes away selling ducks for 1.00 each.so i gave in to my impulse and opted to take my three year old to go buy some to help atleast restock some form of bird animal for our farm.Well i got there and low and behold they also had straight run chicks for 1.00 each! (they buy out extras from a hatchery and sell for cheap) so 45 dollars later i have 14 ducks 11 cornish cross and 20 random brown layers. I have never raised cornish cross before and was advised i need to butcher by about 6 weeks due to growth issues. I have a few questions about these chicks. are these by chance random mutant super growing chickens or are they gmo's? I never really understood.
    any advise on these bad lads?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    check out the stickies at the top

3. fussaguss

fussaguss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    no where ohio
    already read the sticky. didnt cover if these are genetically enginered guys or not.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    They aren't GMO , they are just specially bred and crossed strains of chickens that over years of breeding and crossing have produced a chicken that grows fast with a lot of breast meat. It's years of selecting to breed only birds that grow fast and put a lot of meat on fast.

The downside of growing so fast is they have a hard time with life past a certain point, and in order to live longer they usually need some special care. Some folks have kept them alive for a goodly while, but their main "purpose" in life is to eat, grow, and become dinner.

6 weeks isn't the "limit", I'm planning on processing at 8 weeks, and some go 12 weeks for a big ol' bird (like 10lbs), but then you're running into congestive heart failure and the like.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
  6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Although there are some in the industry that commonly try to convince people there is no difference between Genetic Engineering and hybridization that has occurred for centuries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by