OK> New project lav australorps

kassy68

Songster
14 Years
May 10, 2009
Vassar , Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
OK, after much consideration and I love my australorp temperaments and big brown eyes (corrected on that, black eyes.. lol).. I am gonna go with my lav orp roo over my black aus hen... NOW>. cuz Im new to this last year.. Can I expect the same split gene in the offspring of these two birds , will they make splits? so the next generation will I get the 50/50 like with the lav orp/ black orp.

I think Im also gonna throw my silver laced wyandottes in with them too.. (hens) and see if I cant work on some lav laced wyandottes.. open to ideas.. cuz Im a dog breeder and know those genetics.. still learning on the chickens..

Last edited:
From what I gather (and I'm still new to this too) your offspring will be all black but carry 1 copy of the lavender gene. You then breed the offspring together and you'll get 50% black carrying lavender gene and 50% lavender. You can also breed the offspring back to the lavender parent.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
that would be the way to get Lav Australorps. You could keep 2 of the 8 fellas that you are trying to find a home for and mate F1 split pullets back over their Lav uncle then you would get 50% lav in F2 rather than 25% in the full sibling pairing

to get the lav wyandotte you would get there using a Lav Australorp, but that is a very very hard way of going about it. You would have to fight skin colour, dermal pigment, comb, eyes and lacing plus you would have to be aware of sex linked Id and S genes and how best to navigate them.

a much easier way would be to get a Coronation sussex fella, mate him over your SLW wyndadotte hens then mate F1's together, you will get some yellow legged rosecombed lavender laced birds in the F2, retain those and go from there culling the odd single combed carrier out.
At least starting this way they would all still be on the silver series, youve retained colombian for the single lacing, and have correct eyes

One little point on eyes. Australorps should not have brown eyes.
They should have black eyes, a brown eyed bird would be disqualified in the show pen, & culled from the breeding pen.
David

Quote:
OK.. black not brown.. well I guess you'd say mine are black then.. I know they are not chicken orange eyes.. maybe thats what you refer to as brown.. lol..

but all that being said.. the orps have the right color eye for them.. is it gonna be hard I wonder for the Aussies to keep their black eye through this.. hope the black is dom.

Back
Top Bottom