1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK, new question.. Are all hatcheries created equal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by CHIC, Sep 18, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I have had a lot of positive feedback on McMurrays but recently was told that I might not be too impressed since I picked several birds because I love the way the look. Someone recommended I look at MPC and they have a really good deal on there but I want to know if it will be the same story there. I just don't wanna end up with an ugly flock of birds destined to die young. Any advise?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Some hatcheries are better than others. I like Cackle Hatchery. I have heard bad stuff about McMurray, not as much bad stuff about Cackle.
    I hope you find a good hatchery!

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yes, good luck with your research. There are lots of good hatcheries, and for everyone saying MM is a bad one, you'll get an equal number (or greater) of folks saying it's not.

I've only ordered one time from a hatchery, and I chose a small one, knowing they'd pay close attention to their hatches. I chose Mt. Healthy Hatchery, and my birds were very pretty, healthy, never had any issues with them.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sandhill has a great birds, but every time I wanted to order through them they were back-ordered. So, place an order early for them! I wish we did! I ordered mine through Welp, which drop ships via Privett (but I have heard Privett has poor customer service hence I chose Welp). Our original 6 are from a the feed store, which orders form Privett as well. For hatchery stock, I am pleased.

5. jbfarms

jbfarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Flanagan, IL
    I have the same kind of thoughts as most, once you find one you like stick with them. I always loved McKinney's but they are gone. So I've tried a few different ones and haven't found my ideal one just yet for layers. I got a group from Mcmurray this year and they were a disaster but then I get a group of layers and broilers from Hoover's and lost 1 out of 150 total.

6. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, I just placed an order with my pet chicken. I got a rainbow assortment for 41.50 with no shipping fees! We will see how it goes.. I will keep you posted

7. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Are you asking who has the best quality of chicken or which hatchery has the best customer service, selection and healthiest chicks?

for what its worth, I ordered from Ideal. I like their large selection, they had excellent customer service before and after delivery. They allow smaller orders ($25 minimum, not number of chicks minimum).
    I've ordered from them twice for a total of 26 chicks and I haven't lost any of them due to illness.

the other reason I used them is that they are the hatchery of choice for our local feed store. If i want to place an even smaller order, the feed store will let me piggy back on one of their larger orders.

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, I think I was trying to get in a little deeper than I can afford right now. I really wanted to breed before and have found that it doesn't seem like the best idea for me right now. I am just going to use this as a practice run and probably stock up on some better quality birds one by one. I'm really hoping that I don't get disappointed but it will be a learning experience I guess.

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:One nice thing is that if you happen to get a hatchery bird that goes broody (not too common, but not uncommon either), then in the future you can buy eggs from a breeder and stick them under your broody! Then you don't have to spend the money on an incubator either! [​IMG] At least, that's what we're hoping with work out. [​IMG]

10. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, these chicks come out to be like 1.66 with no shipping! So I don't really have much to lose. I'm sure I will love them! See thats another reason that I don't want to get too far into breeding them. When I raise a chicken, I love it as I love my dog, I don't want to "rehome" or cull it just because it doesn't reach some standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by