OK - New to Moulting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lunachick, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I've looked around a bit for this info, but I'm wondering what is the average age for a chicken to moult? I'm guessing mine are or will be a year old in January 08. So, when do they moult? And when they do, will it happen in winter when they need their feathers? Common sense tells me that it is gradual, and they won't be featherless when it's cold, just a worry wart that's all! [​IMG]

I know they will look raggy, as long as I know it's natural, I won't worry, but do I have to take extra care?!

Paging all experts! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Their first true molt is around 18 months old. It ain't pretty. They have several mini-molts while they're getting their adult plumage, though, but nothing like a real, naked ladies-type molt. You can give them extra protein to help them grow in their feathers better.

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Thanks Specks, so next summer I should expect sloppy looking chickens, as long as I know why! Oh, and congrats on your new mod status!

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    My 1 year old roo just started moulting 2 weeks ago. He's so ugly now. All his tail feathers are gone and most of his feathers on the back of his neck have fallen out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by