Ok no one is answering my duckling question-any chickie people know?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChcknLady, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    I have a pekin duckling everytime I pick her up she oozes saliva out of her beak? It's almost like duck vomit! Is this normal? The duck forum people weren't answering me and I know a few of us have both chicks and cucks so any help?

2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    could you be squeezing her too hard? did she just drink something? is something stuck in her nose?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Does she have drinking water deep enough she can get her whole head to keep her nostrils clear? Ducks need that.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like she drank too much and when you pick her up, she spit it out.

5. ChcknLady

ChcknLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Western Pa
    Yup she can dip her whole head in the water-she could almost swim in it probably! I'm not squeezing at all, the first time I just set her on my hand and she shook her head and away it went!

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    hmmm...maybe she did drink too much like sundownwaterfowl said. not really sure...hope its nothing serious.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    or she could be choking..maybe.. [​IMG] .when mine were young they sometimes did that until i wet their food into a mash for them..

8. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Look in her soft palatte at the roof of her mouth. Is there a hole or was it not completely formed?

9. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    If my chickens have just had a drink, the water is still in the crop area....if I pick them up holding the front of their body, it pushed the water back out of their mouths. If I just pick them up by their sides(with the wings folded underneath) it doesn't happen...
    I don't hold my ducks much...

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If a duck has a full crop and you pick it up, it may stress out and barf on you. (Ask me how I know this... [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by