ok no sleeping in nesting box but now, sleeping outside.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Oct 2, 2011.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    So a few of my hens were sleeping in the nesting boxes. I put basketballs in there for 3 nights and they don't sleep there anymore. But now they are sleeping on a really tall roost in their pin and not in the tall roost in their closed in house. Is that okay, when it's snows will they go in? Could they freeze out there, are they smart enough to come in? [​IMG]

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    chickens are semi smart, but they WILL go in in the cold.
    PS. you should take the basketballs out, at least they sleep inside. mine will sleep in either nesting box or roost.

PS2. there natural instincts will kick in, just give a lot of bedding and hot water... that's all i got. hope this helps...

3. pertybirdy

pertybirdy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I am new to this too, and have wondered that about them being out in the rain...?! My chickens all 15 of them huddle up on TOP of the row of nest boxes, they have roosting pole, they just don't use it. I hope they eventually figure it out, because they're making a mess and everyone has poopy feet in the mornings!

4. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I don't use the basketballs anymore. I only put it in there for 3 nights and it broke them of sleeping in nesting boxes.
    Thanks for advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by