Ok now he sits wierd

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grog, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    So the little guys made it through the night(was the back sleeper). Now in the light of day I see he sits with his legs in front of him and he is right on his butt. Kinda like if we sere to sit on the ground. He still seems ok just he doesnt seem to get up and walk around. everyone else is runnin all over. now none of the other eggs that were layed on Sept. 12 have even pipped yet. Is this just because he is early?

Not to be cruel its just if he needs culled I want to do it before the kids get attached. I dont have issues with "special" animals(we have a 3 legged goat), but if the bird cant walk thats too "special".

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I had 1 hatch yesterday at day 20 doing the same as yours, sitting on his bottom with its legs in front of it and when it did want to move it flapped its wings franticaly and waddled from side to side like a penguin.
    Members on here suggested putting down some rubber shelf liner in the brooder to get a better grip and a bit of physio. I did this and 24 hours after hatching its doing much better and using its legs to get around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by