1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ok now i am confused

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickengirlnm, Nov 5, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I have 3 ducks one i know is a male ( he has they curliest tail feathers, and i have seen him doing the " duck deed " ) one duck i know is a female she is the one doing the deed with my other duck
    what has me confused is my white pekin - he/she had a very curly tail - but for the past month it is not curly and is shorter and comes to a point like my female ducks.
    s/he still acts like a male always doing the head bob thing to boss my other male around - but shows no interest in mating with the one female.
    Do all male ducks have a curly tail? right now I think s/he is molting because there are so many white feathers on the ground it looks like it snowed !! will the tail go curly again once he stops molting?
    I was getting an egg a day from my ducks a nice pretty light green - but was told it could not have come from my cuyaga (sp) because they dont lay green eggs- is this true? what color do pekins lay?

yes i am very confused this morning !! just when I start to understand my chickens my ducks have to confuse me??

here is a pic of the crew i think i am right on the breeds
    brown duck is a mallard/crested mix- male
    white duck is a pekin
    black duck is a cuyaga-female
    [​IMG]
    picture was taken right after i cleaned pool it never stays clean for more than a minute LOL

Julie

2. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    He/she will loose the curl during molt. My females do the head bobbing thing also.Kind of up and to the side. The males rear up and pull their bill into their chest and burp (for a better description). As for egg color,I don't know about pekins,hopefully somebody will help you with that one. One thing I do know is that my males will fight over the females. Especially if one is doing the dirty!

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    both the white one ( afflac ) and the brown one ( frodo ) do that " burp " thing strangest sound i have ever heard - first time they did it i thought they were sick LOL
    well since afflac is still doing alot of male things - i am going to say he is still a he !! but he does not show any interest in breeding with Ebony - maybe a women of his own this spring will perk him up in the breeding department.

now if i could only find out why my ebony lays greenish eggs since i was told she shouldn't--
    i think i need another of cup of coffee before trying to figure out my ducks LOL:rolleyes:

julie

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    One of my cuyaga ducks came from a greenish colored egg. I ordered eggs earlier this year and 4 were cayuga and there were 3 of the blackish ones and one was smaller and greenish, unfortunately I killed the 3 blackish ones, but got a beautiful little girl from the greenish egg. I assumed it was smaller and greenish because it came from a younger duck. I don't know what color Pekings lay, I should know when my sister's starts laying, but I think the greenish egg came from your other girl!

My female ducks are very loud especially at feeding time if they think I'm not moving fast enough, so if your peking isn't making itself heard I'd bet it's a boy. I've only had two I wasn't sure about and both ended up being boys.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry i cant help you with those breeds, i only have white mallards.
    Your pond looks a bit like mine!!!
    i hate tipping it up, always get it in my shoes,
    I need longer legs.
    I just love my ducks and ducklings.

6. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I hate cleaning out the little pool I end up with the bottom of my pant legs wet or my feet get wet - next summer when kiddie pools are on sale they will be getting a bigger one i plan on adding a pump to keep water cleaner ( i hope) so i dont have to clean it out so much.

well I was out feeding them this morning and Afflac's tail is starting to curl again - so i guess he is still a he !!
    now i need to get him a girlfriend of his own this spring
    both my males are alot quietier than Ebony she is VERY VERY loud all the time eating,mating,just walking around the yard she is making some kind of noise !

thank you all for the replies and help with finding out if Afflac was still a boy ! so now i know that greenish egg came from my Ebony girl.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by