OK. NOW I'M DESPERATE! Fungal or Bacterial infection? hen sounds like a percolator!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katiedarling, Jun 28, 2016.

1. katiedarling

katiedarling Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    I posted this originally in an older thread, but there's been no activity so I'm starting a new thread so I might be able to get some information. As of today, they still sound awful, the one who was sounding the worst, seems a bit lethargic today. They sounded a little better yesterday afternoon, but after I did the second misting with the oxine, they seemed to go downhill by this morning. This is the content from the original post. It was #69 on page 7 of this thread from 2012:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...staken-for-crd-mycoplasmosis/60#post_17212538

"....Over last week, we had unseasonably hot weather culminating on Saturday which was said to have been the hottest day on record in a while. It's June, but feels more like august.

Like most folks, I had a misting hose set up to cool the yard a bit, and typically have a box fan set in a small portion of the run so there is decent air flow. Oftentimes, this is where the ladies will congregate to keep cool. Saturday was so bad that I actually turned the fan on the highest setting(something I never did before). Yesterday morning, one of my birds sounded like a percolator. I immediately separated her and began treating with Tylan 50 injectable, given orally at a dose of .50ml. It was right before we were set to leave for a day trip kayaking on the river. When we got back that evening, I went to check on the rest of the flock to see if any others showed symptoms. 2 did, so I pulled them also, and started the Tylan. Today, I decided to use Oxine as a mist in my fogmaster jr, as I have all 3 corralled in my bathroom.

I am planning to continue the tylan for the specified time frame(as I have no proof that it is fungal vs bacterial) and also to mist twice a day with the oxine in the event that it is. My suspicions, after reading speckledhen's many posts about fungal infections, have me leaning towards this after considering the fact that the only birds affected by this percolating sound are the 3 who spent all of their time in front of the fan. The first bird separated, sat about 2 inches from the fan on high, for all of Saturday. I went out this morning to observe the rest of the flock and no other birds sound like this. They were the ones who were roaming the yard more freely and spent most of their time in a shady area across the yard.

Does this course of action sound reasonable to anyone? Anything you might do different or suggest something else I may not have considered? "

edited to add: they seem to still be eating and drinking, at least a little bit.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. Thanks!

UPDATE:
    Many hours later I am now dealing with the worst of the bunch sounding like she's drowning and she's got one eye closed. IS ANYONE interested in giving a girl some advice on how to proceed?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Almost forgot to mention, there has been some sneezing and coughing since yesterday afternoon. I also have been using vet rx on their nares and under their wings.

3. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    I'm thinking maybe my dose on the tylan might be incorrect? They're all about 5lbs and higher.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  4. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    UPDATE:
    Many hours later I am now dealing with the worst of the bunch sounding like she's drowning and she's got one eye closed. IS ANYONE interested in giving a girl some advice on how to proceed?

The tylan doesn't seem to be helping because she's really bad off and none of them have improved any. She's been on the tylan since sunday morning and seems to be now going down hill pretty quick. The other two aren't in as bad shape, but no improvement either. They've been on the Tylan since Sunday night.

I'm trying real hard not to get frustrated and all that. I'm just asking for some input, please? I'm starting to feel like an idiot for even asking.

5. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm so sorry this is happening :( I have never dealt with an illness like that and I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I didn't want you to feel that nobody was listening. The only antibiotic I have ever used was oxytetracycline from my local farm supply for sneezing. I really hope someone chimes in to offer you some help. Fingers crossed for you

6. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    @casportpony
    I think is an expert on doses for different meds. I linked her on this thread.

7. chickcrack

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Any update? Just trying to move this thread up for you

8. vicky1212123

vicky1212123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    Lincoln, IL
    I hope someone helps you!

9. chickengr

chickengr Overrun With Chickens

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I have the same problem. my chickens usually get better with baytril. if you suspect fungal infection baytril is not good idea. put some ointment in their eyes as well. ask @casportpony for help. I live in greece and we have different medicines here.

10. katiedarling

Mar 20, 2015
    GA
    Yes, chickcrack. I half expected Domino( the worse case) to not make it through the night. She did lay an egg earlier yesterday and she's eating/drinking. I decided to up the dose of the tylan for her and Blanche. Rose seems least affected so I am giving her .50cc twice a day and the others 3x. I just figured out that the reason the second oxine nebulization made them sound worse- I had it set so the droplet size wasn't fine enough and it basically just soaked them instead of letting them breath it in. I got that rectified just now. I skipped it yesterday and just did it a few minutes ago. Much easier for them. Domino seems to like it. She just stood directly in the line of fire and dosed off. [​IMG]

Blanche has layed a couple of eggs that were shell-less, so that has me a little concerned. But they are not the first ones. It happens every blue moon or so. I'm just keeping my eye on it.

chickengr- I usually have baytril on-hand, but I had to toss due to expiration. Tylan was all I had, so I had to just act fast. I definitely search for casportpony's threads and articles first, she always has the best, most efficient information. Lots of her posts, and a couple others' are bookmarked. [​IMG]

I appreciate y'all chiming in. I never quite dealt with anything like this with them, so I guess I needed either confirmation that my plan of action is on the right track or if there's something I haven't considered, maybe someone with more experience could direct me otherwise. today is only day 3-4 for them, so maybe I'll continue for 7 days instead of 5 and see where it takes them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by