ok now im seriously debating.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thekid, Mar 16, 2011.

1. krstms

krstms MO Hick Chick

Sep 23, 2009
    Missouri
    I have an LG and I am very unsatisfyed with it. It basically sucks. It's cheap and will hatch you some eggs but it has crazy temp spikes and drops (alot of times in the middle of the night) and overall is just a piece of junk. I had got advice from others on here and they say the cheapest thing you can get that is a relatively good incubator is the brinsea oct eco 20. I just ordered mine so I dont know if it lives up to the hype or not yet. I will tell you though that if you get the brinsea dont buy on ebay. Go directly to www.brinsea.com. It is on sale for 99 dollars there. Others have also said the hovabator 1588 is good. I've never tried that one either so I can't give any advice on it. I will say that I wish I had never bought the LG. Wasted money in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck.

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

any other opinions should i get the advace kit with the humidity thing or could i buy the eco and get the humidity thing seperate

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally I don't think you'd need the humidity thing at all unless you plan on never checking the eggs. Otherwise, there should be a pad or sponge of some sort in there that you add water too. I think the humidity pump would be a waste of money.

4. thekid

i would like only check on them once a day because throughout the day i am reallly busy i would be able to check in the morning but would the humidity thing work with the eco just courious

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Kid I dont figure the humidity pump is needed either. The eco 20 has 2 troughs you put water in and it last for a couple days. You can turn your eggs when you get up in the morning, turn them again when you got to bed and it would work. It would be better to turn more, how much better I dont know.... I like to turn a odd no. of times a day so as not end up ride'in the night on the same side night after night. That may be a-nal too thou...just my thing. I would give the eco 20 a shot before drop'in alot of coin on bells and whistles you may not need... But HEY, dont get me wrong, I'm all about buy'in stupid crap I dont need!!! Just ask my lovely bride. [​IMG] Bill

PS, I KNOW THE TURNER WILL WORK WITH THE ECO 20, NOT SURE ABOUT THE PUMP....

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Turn them when you get up in the morning, then once when you get home from school, and then before you go to bed.[​IMG]

7. thekid

im also all for buying stupid crap heck one day it might be useful. ill get that since i have heard good reviews from everybody.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    ALL YOU NEED IS THE ECO 20.... THEY DO A PHENOMENAL JOB WITH ALL EGGS BUT ESPECIALLY GOOD JOB WITH GAMEBIRD EGGS. IF YOU'RE A LAZY RICH MAN GET THE AUTOTURN CRADLE... IT IS A NICE BUT EXPENSIVE ADDITION... OTHERWISE IF YOU'RE NOT OPPOSED TO SIMPLY ROLLING THE UNIT TO A NEW FLAT SPOT A COUPLE OF TIMES A DAY YOU WONT EVEN NEED THE TURNER CRADLE. ALSO YOU'LL GET BETTER PRICE BUYING DORECT FROM BRINSEA RATHER THAN SOME MIDDLE MAN ON EBAY.... http://www.brinsea.com/

THE
    HUMIDITY PUMP IS A NEAT TOY, BUT IN 95% OF THE EGGS YOU WILL INCUBATE ITS NOTHING MORE THAN EXPENSIVE OVERKILL, ESPECIALLY IN THE SMALLER OCT20'S. WORKS LIKE A CHARM IN THE MASSIVE CABINETS, BUT THE OCTAGON UNITS HAVE MUCH SMALLER AIR SPACES INTERNALLY AND GENERALLY DONT REQUIRE THIS

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes LG is a piece of junk.

Brinsea is no hype, I've got it and love it, I think you'll like it. It is a little Porsche of incubators.

(If you can compare bators and cars) LOL

Brinsea comes to the set temp in 10-15 min and holds it rock steady.

You can also double it's capacity by double stacking eggs.

Chicken eggs may require custom made dividers (taller).

JMR a very known and respected quail breeder on BYC (see quail section) packs 180 coturnix quail into Brinsea ECO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by