Ok, now I'm worried. Crooked chick beak **pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meriruka, Aug 1, 2008.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Camryn is a BO, almost 4 weeks old. Her beak keeps getting more and more crooked. If this keeps up it will spin around to the back of her head.
    Right now, she eats and acts fairly normal although she is making odd movements to compensate for her vision which is hampered by her beak in the way of one of her eyes. She's developed a gap on one side of the beak.

Does anyone have a chicken like this? How bad will it get? Will she be able to eat and drink? Can I make some sort of brace?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    it just gets worse
    my chick eventually died.

3. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm so sorry. If you don't mind me asking, what did it die from? Just the deformity alone or was it unable to eat/drink?

4. splashie

splashie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Up-State NY
    The poor thing! I hope it stops turning!

Any idea's on what caused the crooked beak? Is it something that can be provented?

I've never seen or heard of this before!

Anyone know?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got a banty like that:
    [​IMG]

She eats on her own, though she seems to have trouble with some things like oatmeal on concrete. They do try to steal her food. She's learned that her big poofy rear end (she's a cochin) is a nice deflector. I think her depth preception is a little off but she otherwise does fine.

Is yours a banty or a standard? Age? Is she eating & growing? A deep feeding dish will help her be able to eat.

I'm thinking that mine hasn't changed much since we got her. She's about 3 months old & we've had her for a month.

6. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    Splashie, I think it's a birth defect caused by inbreeding. She came from a hatchery, she's a standard Buff Orp.

Jennspeeps, she's almost 4 weeks. She's growing, but not as fast as the other BO. So far she's eating ok, drinking wateris more of a challenge, she has to tilt her head or it runs out the gap on the one side of her beak. Of course she's the sweetest one, the only one who will let me hold her without shrieking.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Murphy's Law

If I were you I'd keep a close eye on her to make sure she's eating and still growing. You'll have to cull her if she can't eat anymore, though. And definitely don't let her breed, though if she went broody & wanted to hatch others' eggs, that's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by