Ok..now my pullets are 'mounting' me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jewel1, Nov 23, 2012.

1. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    So, I have four pullets who seem just about to lay (talkative, red-faced, squatting, etc) and they appear to have a new game. They've never been over-enthusiastic about being held, etc, but lately, they seem really glad to see me (probably because I bring treats!).

The other day, as I bent over to feed them something, Lucy, my barred rock, jumped up on my back/shoulders and started making noises like she was very proud of herself. The other girls immediately decided that Lucy couldn't have all the fun, so they all started trying to jump on my back and knock each other off in a king-of-the-hill game. I figure whoever wins must "own" me. I was laughing like crazy as chickens flung themselves on me, then got bumped off by another chicken. My husband came outside to see what the fuss was about and thought I was completely nuts.

So, fast forward a few days and now I have to remember that every time I bend down to weed the garden or grab the hose, it's chicken pile up time! They come running just to play the game.

SIlly girls.

[​IMG]

PS..I can't really take a picture of them on my back, but here is a snap of Lucy on my left shoulder, peeking around to say hi before being toppled off the mountain!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] funny story!

How old are they and how long have you had them? I wonder what caused them to all of a sudden exhibit this behavior. In any case, it certainly is a hoot!

3. jewel1

jewel1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    They are about 23 weeks or so..I had them since day-old.

I handled them when they were tiny, but don't handle them much since they got big...we just hang out in the yard together and now and then one will jump in my lap for a quick visit. I have no idea what started the new game...maybe they are establishing a pecking order by jumping on things? Who knows! [​IMG] It's quite a sight to behold...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by