OK... Now that I've been told he's "Not" a Blk Giant, what is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rebel Rooster, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    OK... He's a hatchery bird (purchased @ TSC) I was told that he was a blk giant... I didn't know anything about the breed at the time and obviously still don't know enough. Can some of the breed "experts" here give me a clue about wat he is?? He's huge! [​IMG]
    He was 8 mos old here:
    [​IMG]

My Son Holding him a few days ago:
    [​IMG]

Thanks Guys... [​IMG]

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I saw your other post on the other thread and was biting my tongue. I think you have a Partridge Rock roo there not the Blk Giant you thought he was.

Still a beautiful bird.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I went looking around at feathersite.com and the only thing he looks like to me is a Black Copper Marans

I am no expert, but here is a pic from the site:

[​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    he is beautiful what ever he is [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Quote:That's Him!! Thanks!

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio

Sure, no problem. [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA

Please don't take offense I am saying this with all due respect. I seriously doubt you would ever get a Black Copper Marans out of a bin at TSC. They are pretty hard to find and I don't believe I have ever seen a hatchery carrying the BCMs.

8. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California

Please don't take offense I am saying this with all due respect. I seriously doubt you would ever get a Black Copper Marans out of a bin at TSC. They are pretty hard to find and I don't believe I have ever seen a hatchery carrying the BCMs.

A breeder could have sold the Feed Store extra cockerels....?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

There's only one, who only just recently got their stock - And even at that, your cockerel there does not have feathered shanks.

He looks like a mutt, honestly, which isn't impossible to find in feedstores.

10. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Please don't take offense I am saying this with all due respect. I seriously doubt you would ever get a Black Copper Marans out of a bin at TSC. They are pretty hard to find and I don't believe I have ever seen a hatchery carrying the BCMs.

There's only one, who only just recently got their stock - And even at that, your cockerel there does not have feathered shanks.

He looks like a mutt, honestly, which isn't impossible to find in feedstores.

Especially TSC!!! I love the store but would never by birds there unless if was just out of mercy. Our local store throws the chicks in range water tanks and leaves them open to every kid in the county to pick up, torture and mix in with the other tanks. You never know what you are getting there or what kind of health it's in after being handled by so many children.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by