Ok now that I've hatched some quail, when will I need.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    12 chicks are out rooting around for food in the 10gallon aquarium brooder I put together. When is a reasonable to time to move them into something bigger? They move around fine and get to water a food, but 12 in this small container feels like I'm running an egg farm on one of those PETA abuse videos.

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    What species of "QUAIL"?

3. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Anytime as long as you can keep them warm.

4. ThaJuicyJuice

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Quote:A&M

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    So coturnix [​IMG]

6. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    It is always required to state the species and the age of your birds when asking a question like this. We speak about several different species of Quail here.
    So now, we have determined that they are Coturnix of the white (English variety most call A&Ms...A&M is sort of being abandoned if I am reading correctly in many posts here).

So we needed to know their age, probably the room temp that they are kept in, what kind of structure you want to move them into (cage, another bigger tub), will you put lighting/heating on them in that new structure? Inside or outside? Are they completely feathered out (hint- look under the wing...is it bald or feathered?)

What was your hope? Be specific so we can give you guidance and or a general "approval" on what you are thinking of doing to give them more room.
    Thanks!
    Tonya

7. ThaJuicyJuice

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Yes, coturnix, but because A&M are suppose to grow faster I thought this may be a variable in determining when moving to a larger brooder would be a must.

8. matefrio

matefrio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
  9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Not true, A&M's are just white coturnix with no white meat, no faster growth rate, no bigger sizes, and no miracle birds. Most people advertise like this, but the true A&M's are long gone. They were just big English Whites. You have coturnix, a coturnix is a coturnix no matter what coat of paint. Look at it like this:
    Two 69 chargers are going down the road at top speed. One won't reach point B faster than the other(except for a special one)[​IMG]. That is sort of like how A&M's grow. Plus everything's the same under the hood.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Not true, A&M's are just white coturnix with no white meat, no faster growth rate, no bigger sizes, and no miracle birds. Most people advertise like this, but the true A&M's are long gone. They were just big English Whites. You have coturnix, a coturnix is a coturnix no matter what coat of paint. Look at it like this:
    Two 69 chargers are going down the road at top speed. One won't reach point B faster than the other(except for a special one)[​IMG]. That is sort of like how A&M's grow. Plus everything's the same under the hood.

Not totally untrue, if they are truly jumbo white birds they will grow faster than a pharaoh-sized bird. There are jumbo white coturnix, if anyone would ever pay attention to posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by