OK OK stop it now.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kardar2, Jan 14, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    LOL yep I get bit hard my plans went from a 4'x4' to a 4'x6' and at work Today I derided to go with the 4'x8' LOL! I FRAMED it so it is a 4'x8 and now I can get 9 hens :) I can only have 12 hens which I could probably get away with having more. But I will stop at 9.I know there is a bunch of stories like that.I have a question, I know some of you put vinyl down and some have a hammock and others use a board. I am not sure what I am going to use yet.I bought some exterior paint to paint the floor. Latex semi gloss. Will that work okay under the pine shavings? Thanks

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Paint should be fine under a thick layer of pine shavings. I use vinyl the 12"x12" stick on kind, real cheap. I also have poop boards under the roosts best decision I've made it saves a lot on the shavings. I would also build your coop with the ease of adding an extension, just in case you are attacked by chicken math. LOL

3. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    You can see my coop details in my profile. It's a 4x8 foot coop with an attached run. My floor is 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood with a good latex paint to deter moisture. I bed it with about an inch of pine during the warm months and a couple of inches with lots of straw on top during the cold winter months. The nest boxes are insulated and bedded with pine and straw and a sprinkling of food grade DE. I have 7 hens, 5 pullets and a rooster in mine.

4. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Chickenhurder
    You don't have any issues with 13 birds in there? I am going to get some Australorp.I live in the warmer climate in the winter it usually only gets down in th high 30's thanks

5. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    Five of my birds are 8 week old pullets and they are currently in the lower part of the coop since I only got them this weekend. I'm hoping by spring to build a much larger coop, probably something along the lines of 12 x 12 foot or 15 x 15 foot. They have the run of a 100 x 40 foot pen that enclosed the coop and covered run so they will only be in there for roosting at night.

PS.... right now there are 8 in there including a rooster and they seem to have no problems. I'll probably leave the young ones underneath for anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by