OK, one more quail question--genetics

Heather J

Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
So my coturnix have started laying Woot! and I have my first bunch in the bator. I have three female, normal browns (chocolate?) and one white with a few dark spot--he's the male, I know this because he crows insistently and is constantly mounting the girls) definitely NOT jumbos. I took some pics, then realized my dh hasn't added the icon I need so I can pop them onto my web site for linking. *sigh* I'll post them later on.

Anyway. What colors should I expect? and if I sell them as hatching eggs, is anyone going to be interested?

Nope normal brown isn't chocolate however some call light Tibetans "chocolate" (as they look very brown almost red), normal tibetans are just known as tibetans (or british range).

The birds you're discribing sound like they look like this:

a-5.jpg

^ But with speckled chest instead of red (this is a male lol). That's a "normal brown" known as Jumbo brown (if jumbo in size) or pharoah brown if normal wild size.

If you're meaning brown like this:
a111-1.jpg

That's a tibetan!
smile.png

I might be interested in the near future...where'd you get your original stock from?

You could expect mostly browns, possibly some tibetans, and maybe some more A & M whites as long as the hens carry white.

Last edited:
The females are a normal brown like the top pic. I don't think they are as big as a large pigeon, but then, we don't have many pigeons around here, and the ones my neighbors let out to fly sometimes never let me get that close. Could be nearly that size. My Bobwhites are turning out to be nearly the same size so I'm guessing pharaoh rather than jumbo.

My stock came from catcomb in the October swap, so this is first generation.

Quote:
Do you have american robins in your state? If so, if they are about the size of a robin, then you've got yourself normal pharoahs.
smile.png

I don't need anymore pharoahs at this time, but if/when I need new blood I might check yours out again!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom