1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK Orscheln's source of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YellowChicken, Feb 26, 2012.

1. YellowChicken

YellowChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Anyone know what hatchery for their stores in So. OK?

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I know that all the chicks in AR come from MO. You can call your local store and ask them; I've never had anyone refuse.

3. YellowChicken

Feb 16, 2012
    I'll try asking for the manager. Sales said they didn't know.

4. crchickens

crchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Blue Ridge, TX
    I live in MO, KC area, and just got chicks from them and they are from Estes Hatchery. I am not sure if they also supply OK.

5. YellowChicken

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks. Went by there today and Estes is the source here. They had a lot of varieties. One they called, panfrys, I have never heard of. They were cheap and very small, may'be bantys? Salesman didn't know. A lot of the chicks there had manure stuck to their behinds? I guess they are stressed a lot in those fishbowl cages with folks walking by constantly.

6. theperdews

theperdews Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Our Orscheln buys from Estes Hatchery. We wanted breeds Orscheln didn't have early on last year, so bought directly from Estes. We received 28 chicks that arrived 100% alive, and all lived except 1 that had something wrong with it's joints in its feet. My daughter showed 4 in the county fair, and won every class she entered with her Estes pullets and a cockerel. They aren't show quality, but they were big, strong birds (Welsummer and Ameraucana). The Welsummers now lay Large to Extra Large eggs, and the Ameraucanas all lay Large eggs except one, who lays Medium to Large. The Ameraucanas lay blue eggs except the small one, whose eggs are halfway between blue and light olive.

7. YellowChicken

Feb 16, 2012
    Glad to hear you are pleased with your birds from Estes. I have four, a black star, RIR, JG and a buff orp. Hopefully pullets. The BS is really vigorous and growing fast. I'm still curious about the "panfrys" they had. Thought they might be cornishx but they were awfully small?

8. Erin Boyer

Erin Boyer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I realize this post is really old, but from what I understood when I worked at Orschelns is that the 'panfrys' are basically any miscellaneous breed cockerals that nobody ordered. THey sell them cheap to get rid of them, any most people just butcher them out. Now, the Cornishx, do not get those if you are looking for layers or pets! They grow very quickly and bulk up fast. THey are meant to be butchered by 8 weeks because if they get any older they will have a miserable crippled life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by