ok pics of my non-laying hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by granolamommie, Sep 9, 2009.

1. granolamommie

granolamommie Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    So I have a chicken who hatched in February. I don't remember exact date because it has been so stinking long!!! Anyway, she is still not laying. I have a pic, as I posted before, but I am not sure what the issue is. Is it time to make some dumplings???

[​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh NO! Don't make dumplings out of her! Give her some time...she should start very soon. Is she possibly laying outside where you can't see her? She is very red in the face...does she squat when you reach for her?

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Oh, but she is so purrrrty ! She looks red enough. Should be any day now. (Not that I am any egg-spert!) [​IMG]

Good luck!

4. granolamommie

granolamommie Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    I was just thinking today how beautiful she really is!!

I haven't noticed if she squats when I reach or not. She only just started being ranged as my dogs enjoy chicken and we had to move the coop to a separate area.

I really hope it is any day!!! I just am wondering if I am doing something wrong??? She seems healthy, I live in AZ, do you think the heat has something to do with her lack of eggs?

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Yes!

I have 12 different breeds of 25 week old hens. One lays every day. Two lay rarely. The rest eat lay crumble and look quizzically at me.

But it's starting to cool little by little. They know it, too, so hopefully you and I can both rejoice over an egg soon!

I'm in Yuma, where are you?

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I think the heat'll do it! I live in the high desert of So. Calif. and it has been miserable here with the recent heat. One of my hens that lays regularly just stands in the nest panting...she won't even lay. Another couple regular layers said "forget this" by not laying at all...or rarely. I give a few more weeks to cool down and then we'll start getting some decent numbers in eggs per day. Your girl is pretty and she's still young, so give her a few more weeks to see if the cooler weather helps.

7. brandyballard

brandyballard New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    most of my pullets are swatting and one is laying right now so does that mean my others will start laying soon

8. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    She is very pretty, she'll probably lay some time in the next week or two.

9. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    My pullet took a long time to lay. She laid for eggs then stopped for almost 2 weeks because of the heat. Now she lays every day as it's been cooler.

10. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Some just take longer to mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by