Ok probably a stupid question but what do you feed ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rooster brandon., Dec 27, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Some sites said that you feed ducklings chick starter is that right is there not a duck food what about when there adults what do i feed them then?

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Mny feed chick starter. I say unmedicated is better but sometimes medicated is okay.

3. Hi! Since I've been raising ducklings, I've used medicated chick starter. My ducklings grow well into great ducks --- then they eat layer pellets.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    But can you feed chicken feed as a main diet in ducklings and adults.as in chick starter and grower and layer feed or is there a type of duck feed you have to use?Really my question is i buy chicken feed for 40 something chickens do i have to buy chicken feed and a certain duck feed or can ducks live of scratch and grower and layer?

Please help!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok when you say layer pellets is that chicken layer pellets?Can ducks live of chicken food?As in chick starter for ducklings and grower for like teens and layer for adults all chicken food?

6. But can you feed chicken feed as a main diet in ducklings and adults.

Hi! Yes.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    edit:
    I raise ducklings right along with chicks year-round and give them all the same feed. My grown ducks (breeders) live in chicken pens and eat the same feed the chickens do.
    I've read many times that ducklings need to be supplemented with niacin 'or something' --- just as a rule. I've never done that and my ducklings thrive.
    ?
    Purely my experience, and take it for what it's worth.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    OK thanxs for clearing things up for me and have a happy new year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by