OK question about roosters

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cajunlizz, Jun 30, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    we have 45 pullets , no roosters .

We have RIR's , bantams , Barred Rocks , and Austrolorps .

We are thinking of getting a rooster . WHAT KIND ? & HOW MANY ?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:cd [​IMG]

2. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    You do not need a rooster in order to get eggs just to let you know. You will need about 1 rooster for every 10 hens if you do decide to get them. I would personally go with the breeds that you already have. Barred rocks are pretty nice roosters never had a RIR one before or an austrolorp. I also would go with what you want. Look at some pictures of what a rooster will look like when he is older and pick one you like the looks of.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    OK . but if I got 45 chickens right now , I would need to get 4 or 5 roosters ? WOULD all these roosters have to be the same breed ? WOULD they fight if they are ALL different breeds ? Or don't matter either way , would probably fight for control over the flock ?

YES , I know to have EGGS ONLY I do not need a rooster .

I think hubby is softening up on the hatching IDEA . LOL

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I personally don't have a Partridge Rock rooster but the pics. of them are gorgeous. Tried to get one but they were sold out, dang oh well maybe next year. Good luck with all your chicks. [​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

5. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:No, you don't really need 4 or 5 roosters. That's just a general rule of thumb for maximum fertility. Two or three would probably be just fine and would be easier on your hens (in my experience, an active young roo needs 15-18 hens to avoid bare backs--others' experience will vary). I usually don't have a problem with fertility at that ratio, trust me. [​IMG] They do not have to be the same breed unless you want them to be. Whatever breed they are, they'll be more likely to get along if they're raised together, but they may still fight. It depends on the individuals in question. I'd get two brothers, raise them together, and hope for the best. I'd also separate out and pen together my bantam hens. They'll get rough treatment indeed from a standard roo. I keep mine penned separately with their own guy. Anyway, I hope some of this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by