Ok question about shipped eggs..again

Dont forget when you are ready to turn on the turner you need to be around to moniter the temps as it might cuase them to go up, if you do need to adjust stick around for the chance of a spike.

Dont forget when you are ready to turn on the turner you need to be around to moniter the temps as it might cuase them to go up, if you do need to adjust stick around for the chance of a spike.
When you turn on your turner the heat from the motor can cause temps to rise by about 2 degrees, sometimes more. Make sure you monitor closely for at least 12 hours after turning it on.

As for when to begin turning shipped eggs, there is much debate. I usually begin turning mine after 24-48 hours. Some people wait as long as 5 days. It really depends on the condition of your air cells & how often you turn. I turn by hand, so mine don't get turned nearly as often as ones in a turner. Constant turning will keep a loose air cell from reattaching. Occasional turning is not nearly as bad. When in doubt, take a rail or 2 out of your turner & sit questionable eggs in cartons with the bottom cut out with fat end up & simply tilt the cartons side to side a few times per day to allow air cells to reattach.

Candle first. Mine were the same age when I candled and about half the air cells weren't attached very well.

This thread should help too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ell-detatched-shipped-eggs/3910#post_10289682
All the info and stuff is put into an article from the thread because it got so long..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and here is the paste from it....

Shipped Eggs = Change Of Plans!
Shipped eggs have a MUCH lower hatch rate, even with experienced hatchers!
It’s always best to get local eggs to get the best hatch rate. Sources for eggs are to search the BYC buy sell trade section, Craigslist and eBay. Your local thread on BYC may be the best bet for local eggs! Look for your local site in the “Social section” “Where am I? Where are You!” on BYC.

BELOW ROLLING AIR CELL OF A SHIPPED EGG
Rolls like a Carpenters Level

Important Links to AIR CELL DAMAGE...

UNDERSTANDING what goes WRONG with SHIPPED EGGS
The yolk of an egg is held in place on each end by what is called Chalaza. These are delicate cords that keep the yolk centered in the egg. When you crack open an egg, you notice a white stringy thing on the yolk, this is the Chalaza. When eggs are shipped they encounter postal handlers that toss the packages, sorting machinery, bumpy vehicle rides, temperature changes and possibly X-ray Machines! So by the time the eggs get to you they are pretty much scrambled inside. So if you are going to buy eggs and have them shipped to you, be aware that the viability drops TREMENDOUSLY. There are rare instances when they ALL arrive safely but it is always a gamble.

http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/egg_parts.htm

BELOW IS A "SADDLE" SHAPED AIR CELL

CONCLUSION ~ Shipped eggs
For rolling, detached or disrupted air cells (cells no longer at fat end of the egg but like a bubble level on the long side, rolling or saddle shaped cells), you’ll need to change your hatch plan. They need to sit 24 hours NO TURNING, pointy end down in a Styrofoam Egg Carton with the bottoms cut out for ventilation to possibly reattach air cells. Allow eggs to sit in a moderately cool, somewhat humid place for 12-24 hours before you begin to incubate them. Basements are great. Moderately cool means 65-75 degrees with the fat end UP. After settle period SET Shipped eggs in the incubator in the carton with bottoms cut out as pictured below, do not turn for 36-48 hours to help air cell re-attach. To leave them in the egg carton for all 21 days of the hatch will give you a better hatch rate. After 36-48 hours begin turning or hand turn by laying the eggs side to side 3 times a day, as in the image below. REMINDER~ Never Set COLD eggs in the incubator.

Below image are Eggs in A Carton with Bottoms cut out for Ventilation

Below image of Turning Shipped Eggs, just lean to opposite side.

Thank you all! I candled when they arrived and didn't see any detached air cells but they're black copper marans eggs so I couldve been wrong, the shells are so dark! Anyhow I let them sit for 24 hours pointy end down and then put them in the bator but didnt turn on the auto turner yet, and today is day 2 so I decided to turn it on and here we go! I will candle again I guess on day 5-7 to check viability and air cells again...sound good?

Ok I will watch it. Hopefully it fixes itself because it's an auto heat control
Don't rely on that. Mine are supposed to be automatic too but swing with room temps
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom