ok question on barring

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TK Poultry, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ok i have three questionable gendered BR chickens and im trying to determine the sex but dont BR roos have thinner barring than hens these are young birds so idk if that would have anything to do with it but these birds have thinker barrs and the only questionable thing is their tail and i dont see any pointed saddle or hackle feathers either but my real question is dont BR roos have thinner barres

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    I think the hens should have darker color, as the sex linked barring gen is a very powerful Black Diluter....or at least it should..., hens also have sometimes greenish shanks...

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    they have a greenish black shine on the front of the shank do cockerels do that

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Cockerels' legs are usually quite a bit lighter than the pullets', with very little black wash down the front of their legs.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    ill post pics 2moro

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    IFF males have two copies of the barrring gene they will be lighter in colour; that is to say the white bars will be wider. However, they can carry one copy of barring and one of not-barring; in this case they will be the same "colour" as females.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here are a fue Picture of Barred Rocks I found there not my birds..
    The first is a nice Barred Rock Rooster. He has the slower feathering gene and has nice tight/clean barring..
    [​IMG]
    This is a Barred Rock Hen. She also has the slower feathering gene and has nice tight/clean barring..
    [​IMG]
    Ths is a tipical Production Barred Rock/ Hatchery Barred Rock. She has the faster fearthering gene and has wider not as tight/ clean barring as the Exibition/ slower feathering birds posted above.
    [​IMG]

The American Standard of Perfection Call for bouth Roosters and Hens to have Yellow Beaks and Yellow Shanks and toes.
    One of the Diisqualification of Barred Rocks is haveing shank color other Yellow or Dusky Yellow..

I found this in the American Standard of Perfection as a Note for Barred Rocks.
    "The Barred Rock color pattern as it is expressed in the Barred Plymouth Rock is due to a sex linked gene. Therefore the male carries 2 of the genes and the female one. This accounts for the slightly for the slightly lighter overall appearance of the male"

Chris

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mine arent exhibition they are run of the mill but i like the breed and im going to start out with these

This is Pam im almost postitve she is a pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Chicken A dont have a name
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Chicken B no name
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Chicken C no name
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i really want to know if they are pullets not if they are of good quality b/c i no their quality is mediocker at best but i really just want to know the sex and if they carry sexlink barring gene

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: