OK Rabbit People, What if...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rebelcowboysnb, Oct 14, 2011.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I would like to say I have never raised rabbits but the truth is I did an it ended badly.

I am building a Multi animal kennel/coop/barn thingy. All my runs will be 50 feet by 8 feet with a little extra under the building. My plan seems to be leaving me with an extra run.(2 actually)

What if...

I take that run that will already have 4 wire walls an a wire top an bury chain link in the ground making a complete wire cube but with grass an dirt over the wire floor hiding it.

How would that work to pasture raise meat rabbits?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I think rabbits have to be seperated or they will fight. Maybe others know more.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Rabbits poop a lot, and it would all depend on how many rabbits and how big this cube is.

You can raise rabbits communal or separate. I have found that some of my rabbits are only NICE IF they are together and not alone.

4. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    if the meat rabbits are raised togther they wont fight but females are more aggersive then males. and they will kill each other so watch them. rabbits will dig under fence too so watch for that

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It would be 50 feet by 8 feet so 400 square feet an any digging an they would hit a chain link floor.

Dont know squat about rabbits or how they live as a group or how good they forage.

6. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:just make sure if u get more then one they were raised toghter and dont put males and females toghter or next to each other. males would probley best better for groups

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    If you are wanting to do this for meat rabbits I would say you have a good plan. I would however maybe plan to build or buy a few hutches, you could then keep a trio in the hutches, a buck and two does, letting them run seperate in the run, or the girls together if they got along. This way you would still be able to control breeding, know when babies are due, have babies born in a nest box in the hutch, but once they are weaning age 6-8 weeks, you could put them in the "cube" I think that would be plenty of room for even 2 + litters of young rabbits.

Problems I see that you will need to think about before hand
    1. Some rabbits get along, Some don't, some bucks can not be with other bucks, others are okay. I would deffinatly only go with one buck though. One buck and two - 4 does with enough meat for your family plus some to give/sell to others.

2. If you have them all running loose (if they will get along, I would say there is plenty of space) you won't know when a doe was bred, when her babies will be born, or be able to keep the buck from immediately re breeding your doe. It will also be very difficult to keep records of which doe had which babies, as they only feed them twice a day and good luck notice which is the mother. Plus if there born close to the same time, once they leave the nest you will be hard pressed to tell who's are who's.

3. The buck or other does, could kill the babies if they are all kept loose together. I have had two does (unrelated) that got along well, they lived in a 9' by 3' cage. Introduced to each other as adults. The rabbits we have now would not be able to do this, they are much more territorial and most can not be let out together even in a large area like our back chicken pen. These two does did get along great, they had litters about a week apart and even with the age difference, once they where out of the box we couldn't tell who belonged to who.

4. Foraging- they will eat the grass, depending on how many you have, they may eat all the grass, but even if they don't you will need to supplement with rabbit pellets, and they need to have hay available to I would think.

All in all if you think it out well before hand I think you have a great area that you can use for rabbits. I would recommend buying young rabbits (about 8 weeks) if you plan to keep them all together. They get along better at that age. Also think you should really start with just three- buck and two does, and include some cages/hutches so you can separate the buck from the does most of the time.

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I agree with Bossy, but keep this in mind. If they start out as very young babies together, they can be housed together for a long time. Rabbits tend to be solitary animals, and if you raise them together, they will remain so, just not fight. They just tend to ignore each other.

9. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I plan on doing the same as you rebel...

but not until next spring, Dh is building me several hutches and big runs, we are getting a breeding trio from someone near us, once we have them all ready to kit the rabbits will be separated to avoid fighting, excessive breeding, or the females killing one another. once the kits are born and weaned, they will go into the fully fenced an all 4 sides, runs. I will separate males and females to avoid interbreeding.

Hence why I will have to big runs for my meaties and I should mention that while my breeding trio will be separated they will be side by side so they can see each other sniff each other etc....the only thing separating them will be the wire. all three will also have an exercise pen where they can enjoy the grass, sunshine and some running room.

never leave the buck with the kits, as he can and will kill them, and a female will kill the other ones babies. When I was a kid my family owned a meat rabbit farm, as well as other farms, but only the females with no babies at all were allowed to roam around in a huge pen altogether, the bucks were in hutches of their own, and the females with kits were in their own areas with fenced in pends large enough to provide them with their needs.

I also have three pet bunnies, all females and they all live together in a huge hutch, they have an outdoor pen, also fenced all the way around, they absolutely loveeee to run in there and forage, I never cut the grass in there, their exercise run is quite large but movable and I haven't had to move it at all. the grass is quite tall and they love it, I have no dandelions cause they ate them all!! my females sometimes have spats but nothing too serious and they quickly forget all about it and go about playing.

meaties are no different then the pets just have to remember that things change once breeding and babies come into the plan and you must separate.

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by