OK ready to process one of my turkeys any suggestions?????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sbluvinit, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Well my Turkeys are about six months, think they are ready? I want to only do one, sort of a trial for turkey day this fall. I will need all the help I can get so hit me up with your comments, suggestions and such I know my BYC gang will not fail me. thanks in advance.

2. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    Yes a big one. Have fun [​IMG]

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    you'll also get great insite on turkeys from the yahoo group rare heritate turkeys. they have wonderful people there that will answer your questions.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    What type of turkey is it? If it is a broad breasted type then yes they are ready. If it's a heritage type probably not- they take about 8 to 10 months depending on the breed.

Steve in NC

5. sbluvinit

sbluvinit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I have 2 BB Bronze and @ white ones not sure about them I just know they are white. The BB's legs are getting so wobbly

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    if the legs are getting weak it's time

Steve in NC

7. kmrausch

kmrausch New Egg

Jul 24, 2008
    If your turkey's are as big as ours were, use this information. Cut a hole in a gunney sack and put the turkey in it with head out the hole. Once the head is severed, they are like holding jack hammers!!! It took two of us, one on each leg. We didn't use gunney sack on first one and it actually ripped a hole in husband's rubber barn boots!! ALso helps so they don't break wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by