1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok Roosters are gone How can I make my hens go outside?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GhostRider65, Aug 12, 2011.

1. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I have 10 hens and 2 roosters, until recently they had to be locked in the coop because my White Devil roosters wouldn't let them off the perches or out to eat, so now the roo's are in freezer camp ecept the 2 I mentioned that I'm keeping, or the few remaining moved to an extra stal until I can butcher theml, but my girls don't want to go outside?
    I pick them up and shoo them out only to turn around with the next hen and they are back in? what can I do to get them to go enjoy there run and bugs and scratch that is outside? a few will go out the brave ones who even went out or down with the meany roos present, but my BO and 2 WR's and a white wyandotte hen will not come out or even down off the roosts half the time. I had to add feeders up top and water so they don't starve or die of thirst. HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    If the mean roo is gone, I would take down the up top feeders and waterers so that they don't have a real reason to stay up there. Watch them for a day or so and see if they get down. I really doubt that they would starve themselves.

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:do what stubborn hill said as well as get to people one to play door guardian and the others to throw then hens outside. then lock them out and give them treats outside. thats what we had to with some of our hens and now they love it outside

good luck

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would remove the remaining roosters for a few days or maybe a week, until the girls are comfortable moving about. Lets the girls get used to not being harrassed, and puts the roos in their place.

5. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    TY all I will try all these wonderful idea's, where will they lay though my big girls well 2 of them are now laying and there nest boxes are in the coop. If I lock them out who knows where in the pen they will lay and who might eat them? My neighbor has an egg eating problem and I don't wanna go through that? either

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Can you remove the roosters instead of the hens? Maybe put them with the ones you will process? Whoever you move will be upset by it.

Egg eating is a whole other problem; it's never happened to me and i hope it won't to you, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by