OK, say I want to get some more chickens....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pacanis, Feb 9, 2008.

1. pacanis

pacanis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    I've been kicking around getting some more chickens and building another coop. Here are some thoughts bouncing around my mind, not in any particular order:

I figure since my chickens are laying more eggs than I can eat, and not quite enough for me to have an ample supply to give away or sell, what's a few more more birds. I might as well have an ample amount of eggs on hand and then my neighbors and friends can count on me always having eggs and start getting their eggs regularly from me.

My business is at home. I have quite a few customers taking interest in my chickens. I think adding some more variety, maybe some chickens on the rare or interesting side would be kinda neat. Plus I like taking care of my girls now. Again, what's "a few more birds"?

Now, looking at having more eggs, I guess I'm kinda locked into getting more standards. Bantys (banties?) are cool, but I don't want small eggs. From what I've read, I can't figure out if Silkies are bantys or standards... I've seen them listed both ways. I have read that they do well in cold climate though, so that's good. And they look nice. Interesting...

And here's the kicker....... I want a roo [​IMG] but there are lots of reasons I think of why I don't want one, too. I mean, do they crow all the time? They are so pretty I think I would like kicking back on the porch and watching one strut around the yard, but I'm not sure of all the pitfalls associated with having one. I just haven't read up on them specifically except subject lines. Like harrassing hens, starving other roos, being plain old mean....
    I don't really want to keep him separate, but I don't know what the full scale involves if he were to fertilize eggs. Can a hen hatch and raise them among other hens (cannibalism?)? Should I havea vet turn him into a capon (if that's the correct term)?

So, any thoughts or ideas on what I'm trying to do here?
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

One roo is almost never a problem if you don't mind some crowing and you have more than 8 hens. I rarely hear my roos crow, and some crow at different times.. One of my roos only crows if I open and close the car door!!! It's not that bad really. Get more you know you want to!

3. pacanis

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    Well, is there a "quiet breed"?
    Sorry if that's a dumb question, but there are breeds of dogs considered quiet and some considered vocal. Can the same be true of chickens?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think it depends on the bird themselves. I had a pair of silkie roos, one I swear I never heard, and one who would crow on and on and on if he heard another rooster, a door open, my foot steps or any other noise. He would even crow when I was carrying him and boy that was loud straight into my right ear... he was an exception though. Most the other guys don't crow so much out there.

I do have to say though, the crow of a large rooster is more pleasing to hear than the shrill crow of a bantie.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, get the chickens, if you don't , the thought will haunt you till you do.
    Get a silkie rooster. I hear it in your voice that you really want a silkie. Make that your roo. It won't be much of an issue with your big hens, he will have lots of trouble "dating" big girls. And if he fertilizes some eggs, and you fridgerate them, no one will ever know that they're fertilized.
    I'm not sure about mom and chicks with other hens, I'm sure someone will know.

6. pacanis

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    Is a silkie considered a standard or a bantie? I read it both ways. And I think I also read where the chicks aren't quite as strong as other breeds???

7. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I agree with seminolewind-get a banty or silkie roo. I do not find my roo's crow obnoxious, and they do have a job in the chicken world. Some of my roo's barely crow, some in answer to another and Frank and Bob will respond with a crow when you call their name.

8. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I agree with getting one banty roo. I myself like to hear crowing, with one rooster they don't crow too much, are calmer, and don't fight, and if you get a banty roo he won't be able to do much damage to the ladies.

Go for it!

9. pacanis

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    OK, a banty roo it is!
    What about the girls? Anything hardy, yet exotic or an eye catcher? She doesn't need to be an egg laying machine, but a steady producer would be nice.

10. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Hands down I love the buff orps. Good producers, cold heart and friendly at that. And they have the cutest fluffy butts you ever saw.
    Edited to add: Orps are not necessarily "exotic" but try a few, bet you dollars to donuts you will be expanding your flock anyway. This is addictive.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by